Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 / 5w30 mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 17 GT runs just fine with 5w20 but I am hard on it at times and while 5w20 has long proven itself, is it the best choice for a fairly high strung V8? For 2018 ford made changes to the Coyote V8 but I imagine the clearances are similar. The 18 manual states to use 5w30 on the track but switch back to 5w20 on the street. Surely that has to be CAFE driven. My car holds 8 quarts. I was thinking of going 4 quarts of 5w20 and 4 quarts of 5w30.
Or maybe just a full fill of 5w30. I know mixing is usually not a big deal. I just wonder if there are any chemistry differences that would ultimately make the mix less effective vs just picking a weight and running it.

I know I’m over thinking this lol!
What are your thoughts?

Just stick to the 30 weight. You never know when the itch will strike to drive a hole thru the carpet with the accelerator. Your engine will thank you, plus you can eliminate a separate weight from your oil shopping routine.

I have been doing the 50-50 5W20-5W30 mix for the past 5 years on my Hyundai. In my climate I could easily do the 5W30 and manual says acceptable as is a 10W but the 5W20 is on the oil cap. Cannot remember why I decided to go with the 50-50 mix but kind of a habit now. Will never know if any difference over the 5W20.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Just stick to the 30 weight. You never know when the itch will strike to drive a hole thru the carpet with the accelerator. Your engine will thank you, plus you can eliminate a separate weight from your oil shopping routine.

That's what I would do. The truth is with the 50/50 mix you're really not sure without some kind of analysis what the viscosity of the finished product is anyway.

That recommendation to use 5w-30 when tracking could also apply to those driving the car routinely in hot climates. After all, the factory recommendation has to "work" from South Texas to Canada. Neither 5w-20 or 5w-30 could possibly be optimum for both regions. I'd consider Georgia in summer to be fairly "hot" such that a 5w-30 makes a lot more sense than someone driving in Northern Maine. You could always just use a somewhat thinner 30 grade...which I think Pennz Plat still is.

being in a hot climate a 10 W would serve you better and a 30 for sure as 20's are as noted for CAFE and NOT your engines health. the 10-30 will have less viscosity improvers and its noack will be better as well

5W20 is CAFE driven, and you already know that 5W30 will offer better protection for your engine. So, we already know the answer. Just use 5W30 from now.

Pennzoil Plat 5W30 is a very thin 30 grade, almost a 20 grade. Plus it is one of the few oils that carries both Dexos1 (G2) and Euro A5/B5.

Just run PP 5W30 and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back