Redline 75w90 NS in rear differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 that is RWD with 130k. About to change out the diff oil. I have some left over bottles of 75w90 NS Redline that I could use and it is GL-5. However, these were designed for manual transmissions and not optimized for diffs like their regular 75w90. What do you guys think? Pony up the $20 for the normal diff oil or just use the perfectly good oil I have?

It would be fine.. its a 75w90 gl-5 gear oil.

You might lose a tiny fraction of a mpg.

so if you have no future use for the 75w90NS.. I would use it.

otherwise a name brand syn 75w90 gl-5 would be good.

Use it. Perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Motul Gear 300 would be my choice. Keep the NS for a transaxle like it's intended.JMHO

Agreed, BUT:

The OP already has thr RL GL.

Gather, I agree, but he also closed his post with a willingness to buy another fluid. So, I recommended the Gear 300 which is one of the highest-rated 75W90s and has the highest VI, along with really good UOAs on the applications its been used in.

OP could certainly use it if he absolutely wanted to, no argument there. But if he's willing to spend another $20, Gear 300 is likely among the best choices he could make.

Gotcha. I’ve used it in the past and have got a stash of Gear 300 for use in my current Subies.

Definitely seems to be the best gear oil, at least on paper.

Sorry, it's for a 2007 although I think they're almost the same as a 2006.

It seems like the NS is slightly less slippery, I hope that doesn't make a difference in use on a plain old rear differential.

In case someone googles this later, I asked Redline directly

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Grand Vitara rear differential the 75W90NS would be an option and could be used without an additional friction modifier where a clutch type limited slip isn’t fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back