Chevy cruze battery light on, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooday guys,

I went to the gym early this morning to do some cardio, I was listening to music in the car sipping on my coffee, the key was turned to the accessory position. I noticed the battery light came on after like 15 min on listening the radio. Never happened before.

Started the car, and I went off. Driving aroundin the city and didn't came back.

Why would it come on in the first place?

I would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Usually the battery light is always on when the key is on and engine off.

It was on accessory, not when you turn the key before it starts

It probably means you drained your old battery to a low voltage. Don't listen to music with the engine off it is bad for the battery. I would first recommend pulling the battery and having it fully charged on the grid then testing it to make sure it's still good.

If it is the original battery, I would strongly consider swapping it out. I've had the radio on the car while washing it for over 15 minutes and have never had that happen. It could be your battery is starting to show early signs of failure.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
How old is the battery?

Not even 2 years old, and it's an original Ac delco, they are not cheap!

Originally Posted By: fordman65
Get a Autozone Duralast or Interstate Mega-Tron .
I used to like Sear’s Die-Hard.

Yeah we don't have auto zone here in Canada, other alternative?

You have retained accessory power where the radio will play for 15 min as long as door not opened. In accessory, after 15 the bat light will come on as a warning that you are running a chance of excess battery rundown. That is all

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
You have retained accessory power where the radio will play for 15 min as long as door not opened. In accessory, after 15 the bat light will come on as a warning that you are running a chance of excess battery rundown. That is all

Rod

Yeah this. It's all run off the body control module. I could get my wife's HHR to play the radio for hours by opening the passenger door, turning the key on (to roll up power windows) then key-off and door closed. It retained radio power until interrupted by the driver's door.

I think the light was just to nag you.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I had the timing belt replaces, as well as the serpentine last week. Maybe they drained the battery

Rod

Yeah this. It's all run off the body control module. I could get my wife's HHR to play the radio for hours by opening the passenger door, turning the key on (to roll up power windows) then key-off and door closed. It retained radio power until interrupted by the driver's door.

I think the light was just to nag you.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
If it is the original battery, I would strongly consider swapping it out. I've had the radio on the car while washing it for over 15 minutes and have never had that happen. It could be your battery is starting to show early signs of failure.

This. Cruze batteries have been known to give out in less than 2 years, so if yours is original you've gotten your money's worth. I still have the original battery in my '13, and have run the radio for at least 20-30 minutes at times. Besides, what good is a car you can't use the radio on without leaving it running?

even though small engines start easy many drivers don't drive enough higher speeds to keep its battery full. i am retired and drive little so i use my c-tech charger regularly on my vehicles. winter is worse as is all the electronics on todays vehicles, unless required in your state turn of the daytime lights, cigarette lighters were even worse but they are not common today!

I make a habit of turning everything off whem the engine is off, but let's be real: if a car is driven long enough to maintain a mostly-full battery, 15 min of listening to the radio is nothing. How much power do you guys think a radio draws at low volumes, compared to incandescent (OE) map and dome lights, which typically stay on for several minutes at a time, as we load/unload gear and kids?

//

OP: disregard anyone who makes the blanket statement to simply purchase a new battery. Why?

1. If the battery is starting your car just fine, then why the heck would you need a new battery

And

Rod

If this is true, it might be in your owner’s manual. Have you checked there???

3.Finally, you havent provided enough data for anyone to determine the status of your battery. Voltage; Cranking speed (normal or slow); load test results, etc..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back