cd player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the manufacturer I guess, but it seems to be a less needed feature with Bluetooth capabilities. My '17 VW has the CD player in the glovebox.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Pretty much. You can rip your music into a MP3 file, put it on your phone and stream music VIA Bluetooth.

Yep. CDs are sooo 1995...

Pretty much. You can rip your music into a MP3 file, put it on your phone and stream music VIA Bluetooth.

Yup, or put the files on a USB thumb drive or SD card. Most of these new car audio systems that no longer have a CD drive have a USB port or SD card slot instead to help accomplish that.

A 64GB USB thumb drive (or SD card) costs $15 and can hold hundreds of music albums in high quality.

Seems that most cars are moving them to an optional feature, believe it or not. It started out as optional, then became standard, then back to optional.

I haven't used a CD in a car in ages!

I used to use CDs in cars. Ugh, never again. Almost all of my cars have CD players but I never use them. Now I have about 2,000 songs on my iPod that I plug into the USB input and control it from the stereo. I just installed a new stereo in my CR-V and it does not have a CD player. It basically has only the USB input and Bluetooth, which is all I need.

...People still listen to CDs?
confused2.gif

My FXT has a single disc player, think my RAV6 had a 6 disc changer.
I would still play CDs that I had purchased and not ripped yet, and I like having CDs because I lost a big trove of digital purchases/copies when I was stupid enough to register my iTunes account using an old work email that I can't access anymore.
Now that my iPod broke and I have yet to replace it, I use the CD player a bit but mostly listen to Sirius XM.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My FXT has a single disc player, think my RAV6 had a 6 disc changer.
I would still play CDs that I had purchased and not ripped yet, and I like having CDs because I lost a big trove of digital purchases/copies when I was stupid enough to register my iTunes account using an old work email that I can't access anymore.
Now that my iPod broke and I have yet to replace it, I use the CD player a bit but mostly listen to Sirius XM.
Have you called Apple to see if they can help you?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup, or put the files on a USB thumb drive or SD card. Most of these new car audio systems that no longer have a CD drive have a USB port or SD card slot instead to help accomplish that.

A 64GB USB thumb drive (or SD card) costs $15 and can hold hundreds of music albums in high quality.

Only if you consider MP3 "high quality" .
FLAC,or ALAC (lossless) files, and you won't get jack on a 64gig.

the only thing I use a CD player for in a car, is to insert a mount for my smartphone.

Wife still plays cd's in her car but I haven't burned a disc in probably 5 years.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Only if you consider MP3 "high quality" .

Most people can't tell a 320 kbps or VBR V0 MP3 from source CD material. And most of those that say they can, consistently fail the A/B blind comparison test. But if you can tell the difference, by all means stick with a lossless format.

Quote:
FLAC,or ALAC (lossless) files, and you won't get jack on a 64gig.
Doing quick math, you can fit about 134 hours of FLAC material on a 64 GB card, so that's still quite a bit, IMO. If you need more space, buy a larger card/drive - they're relatively inexpensive. A 256 GB drive is about $50-$60 currently.

I use usb cable with my iPhone in both cars for streaming music while both cars came equipped with CD players

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I haven't used a CD in a car in ages!

You're missing out. There's nothing like a nice long road trip, with both CDs of the Wall, down the highway, or even Frampton Comes Alive. MP3 rips of those examples are, to be blunt, idiotic.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back