Just Check and Add ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it will be a short lived beast and the engine will outlive the rest of the mower.
So just top off the oil when needed. Plus it keeps the muffler well lubed
wink.gif

Get a oil suction gun. I tilt my lawnmower so all the oil goes towards the oil fill. One pull with gun all oil is out. Refill. Done.

Who is intimidated by changing oil on a lawnmower? Even if I were to never do it, I would not accept the marketing that I shouldn't do it. That's just so throwaway feeling.

In other words, even if I didn't, I'd like the option to do so, someday.

I didn't like that macintosh computer that came without a floppy drive either. "Why would you want to get files in and out of here?"

I have the brigs "never change oil engine: on a snapper self propelled. Has good power, a little on the loud side compared to my last mower.

I changed the oil after probably about 10 hours. It was very thin and black. Now that I changed it to a full synthetic it is staying very clean and not using any oil.

Always starts 1st or 2nd pull.

I like it.

I would change the oil each year but here is the real story:

Let’s say it takes an hour to mow the lawn. Let’s say you mow the lawn 10 times per year. That is 100 hrs in one summer, enough hrs to do one or two changes in my opinion. Briggs knows the average lawn mower last less than 10 years, thrown away because the auxiliary stuff causes hassles such as carbs, wheels vibrating off, hard to start or it looks too dirty. You can google it, and find the data for yourself. 100 hrs per year x 10 years = 1000 hrs. Those Briggs engines can run on whale oil. I’m positive they have tests showing 1000 hrs of no oil changes. It’s easy to do. They fire up the mover in the morning, stopping it only to refuel and then shut down at 5:00 PM, 8 hrs per day, 20 days per month. Six and a half months later, the mower is just fine.

The other thing is they are feeling the heat of electric mowers and sales of gas engines are falling. I’ve already show pictures where half the floor space for mowers at Home Depot is for rechargeable cordless mowers. Home Depot doesn’t give out floor space unless the items are selling.

So, there you have it. No oil changes.

Last edited:
Have that engine. I just tip the mower 'till it's all out, and then add. Epoxied a neodymium magnet onto the dipstick that caught a huge shaving among small debris.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Because it will be a short lived beast and the engine will outlive the rest of the mower.
So just top off the oil when needed. Plus it keeps the muffler well lubed
wink.gif

Don’t laugh, if the muffler bearings go, you’ll be sorry,
lol.gif

Last edited:
Snagglefoot:

"Let’s say it takes an hour to mow the lawn. Let’s say you mow the lawn 10 times per year. That is 100 hrs in one summer"

I'm not a mathematician by any means. However, it appears that you aren't either. 1 hour x 10 times = 10 hours. Not 100 hours.

I'd say on average, I used to cut my grass at least 25 times a season.

Regarding the original post. This engine is a prime example of a good use for synthetic oil. I seldom recommend the use of synthetic oil however, this is on application where it would be worth it's cost. Don't change it, just top it off as required.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Snagglefoot:

"Let’s say it takes an hour to mow the lawn. Let’s say you mow the lawn 10 times per year. That is 100 hrs in one summer"

I'm not a mathematician by any means. However, it appears that you aren't either. 1 hour x 10 times = 10 hours. Not 100 hours.

I'd say on average, I used to cut my grass at least 25 times a season.

Regarding the original post. This engine is a prime example of a good use for synthetic oil. I seldom recommend the use of synthetic oil however, this is on application where it would be worth it's cost. Don't change it, just top it off as required.

Thank you. Sometimes its it’s too simple. For your case, 25 hrs x 10 years = 250 hrs. No way would a Briggs engine fail after 250 hrs with no oil changes. I would change every year. Most people won’t.

Just bought a female a new mower with a B&S. Huge sticker on the motor says never need oil changed. I was expecting a sealed engine but it has a dip stick and came with the usual bottle of oil to add to the motor as part of assembly. I will let her use the mower awhile and change it out with a good synthetic oil,show her how to check it and leave a quart for top offs and then forget about it.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just bought a female a new mower with a B&S. Huge sticker on the motor says never need oil changed. I was expecting a sealed engine but it has a dip stick and came with the usual bottle of oil to add to the motor as part of assembly. I will let her use the mower awhile and change it out with a good synthetic oil,show her how to check it and leave a quart for top offs and then forget about it.

That seems like a good plan to me. If you are going to do check and add( i wouldn't but i get the circumstances) , getting that first breakin oil loaded with metal out, is a good idea.

Been changing oil in my briggs Deere lawnmower for years annually in the fall.

Whatever diesel truck oil is on sale, I use. Delo, etc.

No need for $10 for a pint of Briggs branded oil.

If you click through their link and actually read the warranty, it states 24 months for consumer use.
Figuring an hour per week to mow the lawn for 6 months out of the year, that would be approximately 25 hours per year.
50 hours over a 2 year warranty period.

Just about any engine/oil combination could run that guantlet.
I think this is a case, unfortunately, of marketing to a consumer with a throwaway/disposal product mentality.

I like to browse through Craigs List looking at mowers, just to see what's available. My riding and push mowers are old, but still running fine. I don't think a lot of people out there are changing oil on their mowers on their own.

I have seen a few newer John Deere riding mowers listed where the seller mentioned having the mower serviced by a local dealer. Like it is a Porsche going in for a 60K mile inspection. Wonder what that John Deere dealer charged to change that oil.

Just 2 days ago I changed the oil on a year old Sears mower that had one of those "never change oil " engines. The owner brought his own oil, but it wasn't B& S oil, just super S oil. He agreed that not changing oil was a joke. Although knowing the newer sears mowers, I do believe that if it wasn't changed something else would probably fall apart before the engine would. But most of my customers come to me, and follow my instructions, because they know that I have been keeping their equipment running good for years. Actually I am retired now, but still do some for regular old customers, and even a few that are referred by old customers. By the way, my rider has a 6 hp Tecumseh engine, that I bought new 45 years ago, has never had any major work on it, probably has around 2000 hours on it, and I change the oil once a year. It uses a little now, but have a smaller yard now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back