Hardware store of choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Bud
I shop at Lowes. Automatic 10% military discount year around.

Really? I didn't know this. I will keep this in mind.
BTW, what kind of proof do I need to show I'm a Veteran?

I registered on line first, and then I had to go in to my local Lowe's to complete the registration. Instructions were to take your DD214 wit you and they complete the registration in the store. The discount is tied to your myLowes card.

Thank You very much.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Lots of bags work in the local mom and pop so I hardly go there. It's like going to the license branch..

The town where we both started working and will most likely move to has a great little store. Decent prices and lots of bee keeping supplies of all things. The nearest big box store would probably be Menards at 30 minutes or so, but no big deal. I have no real preference between the big 3.

That reminds me of one I hit on the way to the coast. He still has tools, plumbing (hard to find), electrical … but stocks lots of things people need for the weekend place like crab traps, outdoor cooking gear, heavy duty cleaning supplies etc …
This place is decorated with old antique signs and items … but no A/C …

Sounds like a cool place.

There's an Ace about 45 minutes north west of here next to a 3000 acre lake. Lots of summer-ish stuff like pier equipment, boat maintenance supplies and patio related stuff but probably not near as cool as something on the coast that sells crab traps. Lol.

If you work for lowes you won't get fired. They had people show up and do nothing for 3 months and took like 3 more months for them to get rid of them. It's a liability to fire people nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
If you work for lowes you won't get fired. They had people show up and do nothing for 3 months and took like 3 more months for them to get rid of them. It's a liability to fire people nowadays.

That’s everywhere.

Ace Hardware- Very friendly and helpful people that will spend a half hour to help me find a $5 item. Its almost like each employee is a part owner in the store. ACE brand items are often as good as the big name next to it. I signed up for ACE rewards a couple of years ago and get $5 off coupons about every other week it seems.

Lowes and Home Depot- seems like each one is set up different once i get familiar with one then go to another its like a maze. Employees seem to act like they are union usually gathered together and talking. Home Depot seems to have the most helpful people but they mostly point in the direction i need to go where as the ACE guys will walk and hand you the item.

I know of only two hardware stores: Ace and True Value. As far as I know True Value is failing. The others you mentioned are just Lumber yards that have hardware...

I usually go to HD or Lowes as the two smaller stores we have local are waaaayyyyyy overpriced. Sorry, but I won't support a local store when they're 50-100% higher priced.

Now as for which big-box store I prefer, I'll take HD over Lowes. Never been questioned by HD when I return something but have had bad customer service experiences at Lowes on more than one occasion. Last time was just last week when I returned a dead tree. Had three employees staring at it, with hands on hips, questioning whether it was from Lowes because it didn't look like what it was supposed to be and I had the receipt and the tag from it.

We have a True Value ...
best place in town to buy fishing tackle ... the owner lives to fish and can tell you what they are hitting
They have a good selection of Stihl equipment ... got my chainsaw there ... they filled it up with OEM liquid ... and did a curbside demo ...

I have memories of 84 lumber in Newark, Delaware.
Before anybody heard of those other places it was the only game in town.
my father took me there often in the 60's-70's and in the winter it was painful for a kid.
One heater at the sales checkout and the rest was frosted............... COLD!

Even though the HD and Lowes built around them it still stands today.

There's a True Value in town, but for the most part their prices are pretty high. I live 45 min from anything else so most people will just go with it. I go there for the occasional odd and end items, but that's about it. The other problem with being a small town store is everybody knows everybody, and if you are not from around here good luck getting decent service. That's slowly changed for me, but when I first moved here it was a little off putting. I know we're supposed to shop local, but I make it a point to go down the mountain for other things to go to the HD or Lowes.

I usually go to Home Depot for the big trips, but if I need something simple or quick, or nuts and bolts, I go to Ace Hardware. Sometimes things re reasonably priced, other times they are out of their minds. I went last week for a can of coil cleaner for the A/C. They wanted $18, where Home Depot sells it for $8. I went to Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: littleant
We have a hardware store called The pick & shovel in Newport Vermont Family owned. Complete maple sugaring supplies. Lumber-pellets-coal. Tractors-meticulous kept small pets tropical fish-birds. Full clothing shoes-camping. Everything and yes an ice cream stand in summer.

We need one of those here. It would sure fit in here very nice, here in the country.
thumbsup2.gif

I used to have an employee/pipe fitter that worked for me in the fab shop, that was from Vermont. He had a very thick Northern accent. He and I would fun around about each of our accents, mine being cajun. Anyway, he told me about how he would "milk" the Maple trees for syrup. He had brought some from home and gave me a can of REAL Vermont Maple syrup. In return I gave him a can of STEEN'S pure cane sugar syrup from La. that I had from visiting my parents. That Maple syrup was the BEST syrup I have ever eaten in my life!
thumbsup2.gif

BlueOvalFilters love the Cajun accent. Texas hurricane then floods. Cajun navy gotta love those folks. Vermont maple sugaring not quite the same since going to reverse osmosis. Not as sweet. The smaller family runned still boil using wood more sweet.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Ace Hardware- Very friendly and helpful people that will spend a half hour to help me find a $5 item. Its almost like each employee is a part owner in the store. ACE brand items are often as good as the big name next to it. I signed up for ACE rewards a couple of years ago and get $5 off coupons about every other week it seems.

Lowes and Home Depot- seems like each one is set up different once i get familiar with one then go to another its like a maze. Employees seem to act like they are union usually gathered together and talking. Home Depot seems to have the most helpful people but they mostly point in the direction i need to go where as the ACE guys will walk and hand you the item.

As a cashier, I've gotten in trouble for leaving my register to assist customers. Hence why cashiers have to resort to pointing.

Same complaint we get about walking a guest to an item goes hand in hand with the complaint about excessive wait times in line at checkout.

I can't speak for floor associates though.

Easier to remember departments than it is every aisle and bay these items are on.

I registered on line first, and then I had to go in to my local Lowe's to complete the registration. Instructions were to take your DD214 wit you and they complete the registration in the store. The discount is tied to your myLowes card.

Some veterans get very agitated having to go through the registration process, but once it's complete, give the cashier your tellephone number and it's smooth sailing

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I prefer Lowes and Ace for their better service if you need help. Good move bailing out on Pep Boys, the perenially sinking ship.

Amen
Good experience though
I think my shop experience there will benefit me at 84 lumber

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Some veterans get very agitated having to go through the registration process, but once it's complete, give the cashier your tellephone number and it's smooth sailing

I found it to be super easy and did it online. I don't use their credit card and they mailed me a small card to keep on my key ring that gets scanned anytime I buy something. Not sure why anyone would get agitated about signing up for some savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back