Keurig Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are quite a bit of Keurig coffee machine owners here, right? I own a Keurig K2 and a Hamilton Beach Keurig type machine. The HB was my 1st one until I could afford a real Keurig. But, my cousin gave me a RED K2 at Christmas. I buy my coffee from EBAY. In fact, I won a bid 2 days ago for some Original Eight O'Clock medium roast pods (72) for $20.25 and FREE shipping. That's only .28 cents per cup of coffee.
I tell you, I sure don't miss my old timer (12) cup Mr. Coffee maker. But, I'm not throwing it away. I never know when I might need it again.

I'm not a 1 cup of coffee at at time person. I like to brew a whole pot. I especially like an old percolator but, I use automatic drip most of the time.

Shaw's supermarkets has 80 generic cups for $17.99 this week. Getting wifey a Keurig machine and am happy they aren't 50 cents each (anymore).

The goodwill near me has a used machine for $8. Thinking of picking that up as well to practice the auto-refill hack that involves an aquarium float and ice-machine plumbing.

We still roll with a 12 cup drip machine for breakfast but she likes to "graze" throughout the day.

I like to fill the brewer up with 13 cups of water to get 12.
Put in coffee with a garden shovel.
Slap the lid shut.
Plug it in and flip the switch.

BAAAMMM, Done! Everybody get their coffee at the same time.

Love my Keurig. My two favorite pods are Green Mountain Double Diamond and Peets Major Dickason's Blend.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Love my Keurig. My two favorite pods are Green Mountain Double Diamond and Peets Major Dickason's Blend.

When I bid on coffee on EBAY, it's usually 48 pods or more. Sometimes the seller will give you the option to make them an offer. There was a 60 pod of Peets coffee for $41.14. I offered them $20, then $25. After that, I quit. Is it THAT GOOD? I try to keep my cost per cup of coffee at .35 cents or less.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Shaw's supermarkets has 80 generic cups for $17.99 this week. Getting wifey a Keurig machine and am happy they aren't 50 cents each (anymore).

The goodwill near me has a used machine for $8. Thinking of picking that up as well to practice the auto-refill hack that involves an aquarium float and ice-machine plumbing.

We still roll with a 12 cup drip machine for breakfast but she likes to "graze" throughout the day.

For that price, I will give you my address so you can ship it to me. I'll be glad to pay $8 and shipping costs for it!
J/K, but for that price, you better go buy it for yourself before someone else does.
thumbsup2.gif

Those are ideal for us … she likes expensive flavor types (many) and still puts cream/sweetener in it
I buy store brands and drink black

I assume people get a Keurig for convenience rather than great coffee. I followed a NYT article on great coffee and for my wife got a burr grinder and a coffee maker that heats the water to precise temp and pumps it over the coffee grinds. Even better would be a scale to exactly weigh the coffee but that might be too much at 7 AM to handle.

I am a diet Pepsi guy.

I still have one, but rarely use it anymore. To me it would never get the coffee hot enough to my liking. I would pre-heat the mug with hot water, but it still wasn't suitable for me. I resorted to putting my coffee in the microwave afterwards. I also used one of those reusable pods, but didn't have good results with it. There would always be fine coffee powder in the last bit of coffee. The only coffee that didn't do that was Luzianne Coffee/Chickory mix. It was my primary coffee anyways. I've since upgraded to an espresso machine and haven't looked back.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Even better would be a scale to exactly weigh the coffee but that might be too much at 7 AM to handle.
LOL! I actually do just that, but I don't have my coffee until about 9 am, so I am more or less awake by then.

If you don't want to bother with a scale, there are grinders that can be programmed to grind a specific amount of beans in one shot.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Keurig brews coffee too weak for my liking. I find a regular coffee maker does a better job extracting the flavor.

My biggest issue with Keurig is that it actually over extracts the grinds, which results in bitter tasting coffee.

I assume people get a Keurig for convenience rather than great coffee. I followed a NYT article on great coffee and for my wife got a burr grinder and a coffee maker that heats the water to precise temp and pumps it over the coffee grinds. Even better would be a scale to exactly weigh the coffee but that might be too much at 7 AM to handle.

I am a diet Pepsi guy.

I used multiple pots and always used RO water, and different coffees. If you get the right blend (I use Starbucks Blond) roast. As good a coffee as you get anywhere. I am very particular with my coffee. Have you ever "used" a keurig with different coffee blends

And NYT lol...

Originally Posted By: Al

I am a diet Pepsi guy.

I used multiple pots and always used RO water, and different coffees. If you get the right blend (I use Starbucks Blond) roast. As good a coffee as you get anywhere. I am very particular with my coffee. Have you ever "used" a keurig with different coffee blends

And NYT lol...

My friend uses Starbucks brand coffee. She gave me a few pods of some dark roast. It was amazing, but I can't afford it.
She also gave me a 12 pack of Donut Hole brand Peppermint coffee. It's different...........

Al, you just know that Keurig is gonna be the recipient of a lot of hate from coffee snobs. It's just the nature of the product. Personally, I love it. I was an early adopter and have owned many of them. They have evolved and now pretty much have an answer for everything (except the uber snob who requires that coffee making be a long involved process).
I especially like the fact that everyone can have what he or she likes without the need of brewing an entire pot of that flavored gunk that my wife likes. Plus, there's tea, hot chocolate, etc. You just have to remember to regularly desalinate the thing, which the new ones remind you to do.
Snobbery really interests me, and I admit I've been guilty of it. I once worked at a motorcycle dealership that had a $10K Italian coffeemaker that was always requiring some guy from the factory to come in and adjust it. On the one hand, I can admire and applaud anyone who seeks excellence. On the other hand, so often this seems to suck the pleasure out of an activity. I think of oenophiles or audiophiles who fret and spend fortunes in pursuit of...what? For one thing, it's been my experience that if you critically compare something to anything else, you may never be happy with what you have. Or, to put it another way, the "ultimate" anything can be gotten used to, and then it's just the soup du jour, so to speak. Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing snobs, so long as their efforts bring them genuine pleasure. I just believe that in many cases the pursuit of the ultimate instead often leaves people unsatisfied.
Years ago I ran into a rock star at a bar. I was a big fan of his, and there he was just drinking a beer at the bar. I told him that I'd seen him drinking beer on a number of occasions and he always drank Bud. I asked him why that was. He said that when he was a young man he would only drink a difficult to obtain micro-brew. Because he was constantly traveling he was always disappointed, so he learned to like Bud because he could get it anywhere. This struck me as eminently sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back