(M1) shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 (10w-30) pours dark brown out of new unopened bottle of unknown age. I am only familiar with a lighter amber color for oil. Oil was kept in garage cupboard under moderate SoCal temps many years.
Can it still oxidize sealed & no sun?

Do the oil makers put a 'date code' on oil bottles?

Zee0six Chevron Havoline does put a manufactured date on their oil containers. I had Havoline Pro DS from 2015 I just put in.

Shake and put in is correct as OneEyejack said.

Mobil says a five year shelf life-

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto...-mobil-1-quarts

Post a picture of the bottle, what API grade was it?
Someone here will remember/estimate about when the bottle/label was used
smile.gif

The jugs will leak before the oil goes bad.
laugh.gif

I've had the worst luck with M1 jugs, but granted it was AZ clearance. Highly rotated WM stock would probably be fine.

It should have an inked or laser etched number on it that contains the date code. If laser etched it may be hard to see.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No time limit, oil won’t go bad.

This has been my experience based on UOAs of 17 year old oil that I used.

I've used Havoline conventional dated between 1980 and 1987 in vehicles in the past without problems. Found a goldmine of the stuff in the early 2000's at a garage sale an elderly lady was having after her husband passed away. There was around a dozen 12 quart cases of the stuff, a dollar a case. I've used it mostly in older vehicles (that recommended the spec), lawn mowers and other yard implements. I have one case remaining and have no qualms about using it.
I would think that a synthetic motor oil made to more modern, stringent standards would be alright!
grin.gif
Maybe for giggles I'll have to get a VOA done on a quart of my Havoline, see if any of my engines are systematically doomed. I don't fret, though.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Do the oil makers put a 'date code' on oil bottles?

Found YouTube videos showing how to read and interpret oil jug manufacture date codes even one where there is a date code on the front and it says on the back it's good for five years. So therefor my Valvoline bottle showing J1917 would mean Oct. 19 2017 manufacture date because J is the 10th letter and Oct. is the 10th month.

Last edited:

X2805 - looks like 2005? what is the X?
I will check some other bottles, and also post the color.
Any idea's on the dark brown color?

I will add engine ran smoother after oil change.

thanks

Last edited:
maybe its not as dark as I think?

thanks for the assurance - don't want to trash an engine - nor good expensive oil.
it is mostly for my 1990 5.7L

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That's a trip! I've never seen fresh out of the jug M1 that dark before.

Maybe its not really M1 :^) j/k

Had a half bottle of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 dated 2006. Looked fine. Went in my Mitsubishi last oci. Also found a half quart of Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 dated 2008. That’s going in next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back