Oil Filter Change with Fram synthetic ultra 3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the forum's opinion?

I have a 2017 cub cadet with a Kohler 7000 command and plan to do oil every 50hrs and filter every 100hrs using a Fran ultra. The oil is T5 10w-30.

As a side-note, my car Toyota V6's OCI is 5000 mi and a Fram ultra every 10K mi. The car says I average 37mi/hr or 270 hrs for 10K mi. So far my Blackstone oil analysis has been normal.

In theory, I could do OCI every 100hrs and Fram ultra every 200hrs.
But this is an air cooled engine and 200 hrs it would take 8 years.

What is the manufacturer's recommendation?

I have a liquid cooled Kawasaki v-twin in a John Deere 425AWS, with 3,000 hours on it.

The manufacturer recommends either every 125 hours, or a yearly oil change... whichever comes first.

On average, I change every 100 hours, using a $3 -$4 oil filter (W*M SuperTech, NAPA ProSelect or O'Reilly MicroGard), and 10w-30 Shell Rotella T4.

I don't think I've lost out on longevity by using a lower end oil filter.

I believe Kohler recommends oil and filter every 100hr.
Cub Cadet recommends both every 50hrs.

Last edited:
I think you could do oil changes every 50hrs and Fram Ultra every 150hrs easily.
When I've cut open the cheap filters used on my B&S Intek they look new after 50 hours...

I use Ultras too but in this case the MC FL- 910s ,
Is a good compromise. After 100 hrs they still look great
On a Kohler 33 hp. zero turn.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
What is the forum's opinion?

I have a 2017 cub cadet with a Kohler 7000 command and plan to do oil every 50hrs and filter every 100hrs using a Fran ultra. The oil is T5 10w-30.

As a side-note, my car Toyota V6's OCI is 5000 mi and a Fram ultra every 10K mi. The car says I average 37mi/hr or 270 hrs for 10K mi. So far my Blackstone oil analysis has been normal.

In theory, I could do OCI every 100hrs and Fram ultra every 200hrs.
But this is an air cooled engine and 200 hrs it would take 8 years.

You mentioned an inconvenient truth. It would take 8 years to accumulate 200 hrs. Just default to an oil and filter change each spring or don’t bother changing that oil filter for 8 years or alternatively change the filter every couple of years.

Last edited:
I do my lawn tractor change yearly … have a stash of Fram TG and Bosch DP from Walmart clearance aisle

Just change oil/filter once a year and use what makes you happy. The cost is minimal.

Last edited:
According to http://www.oilfilterdata.com/index.php?view=filter_info&model=PH3614 that filter has a capacity of 23.29 cubic inches or 0.4 quarts. If we assume it to be half full, then you may be leaving 10% of the total oil capacity in there. That's based on my B&S V-twin. Personally I would prefer to change as much of the oil as possible.

You mentioned that it would take 8 years to accumulate 200 hours, so you must run an average of 25 hours per year. Why not just do a complete oil and filter change ever other season, which is 50 hours and on target with the manufacturer's recommendation?

I am trying to be frugal, maximize filter capability using a loaded filter and minimize total lifetime number of dry starts after an oil change.
50 hrs on a ultra is wasting a still good filter. In my theorical automotive world, 50 hrs @my 37mi/hr is 2K mi. What a waste!
Also it is filtering, 6.5qts of crankcase oil. My Kohler only holds 2.0qts.

Note: I use Fram ultra filters on my Toyota and they easily can do 10k mi.
Toyota recommends oil/filter every 10K and their OEM filters are cellulose media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back