Out with the noisy Hankook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the noisy Hankook Dyna Pro ATM with some Michelin Defenders LTX. Nice and quiet. Smooth also. 35000 mile on the Hankook and the noise was so bad it sounded like both front wheel bearing were gone. Never had that problem before. Actually took it back to the dealership about 5 month ago because I thought it was a wheel bearing problem. Nope, they said, its just your tires. Tires were rotated about every 7000 miles. They had I would say many more miles left on them but I had enough with that noise. The Hankooks came with the Xterra when bought new. On doing my reseach before buying new tires many people complaining about the noisy Hankook?

I don't know, but the Michelin LTX's that I had, were a zero when it came to wet traction and a zero for snow traction. Icy roads were a 15 mile an hour white knuckle affair. I took them off at 36500 miles. Must have been counterfeit.

But they were nice and quiet. Apparently many things are a trade-off.

The Defender LTX is not the same tire as the LTX tire. They are rated as excellent in wet and snow conditions from Michelin web page. In doing research over a couple of weeks on tires everyone that had the Defender LTX rated them very high when it came to operating in the rain and or snow.

The honkooks were pretty quiet up until 20,000 miles or so. Then they went to [censored]. Thats one of the reasons I thought I had a Wheel Bearing problem.

Also. The noise I had was NOT a normal tire noise that you would normally think of when driving. I have owned many 4x4 trucks and NEVER had a tire make the noise these were making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back