Towing vehicle reccomendation? (Followup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some more research and looks like an early 2000s Chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 crew cab would be suitable. 4.10 gears, 300+hp, easy to maintain, relatively cheap.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Doing some more research and looks like an early 2000s Chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 crew cab would be suitable. 4.10 gears, 300+hp, easy to maintain, relatively cheap.
The 2500 truck's are pricy. And that's too much truck for what you're towing, a 1500 should be fine.

OP, what's the size, configuration and weight of the trailer? Aprox total weight?

I'm sure a 3/4 ton pickup would be easier on the driver for long hauls (not the wallet), but like said above, even "small" pickups have 6000lb or more towing capacity. Our 2017 Frontier has a tow capacity rating of ~6200lbs.

I do know that an $8K budget for a pickup truck in my area will get you an old, very high mileage truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
OP, what's the size, configuration and weight of the trailer? Aprox total weight?

I'm sure a 3/4 ton pickup would be easier on the driver for long hauls (not the wallet), but like said above, even "small" pickups have 6000lb or more towing capacity. Our 2017 Frontier has a tow capacity rating of ~6200lbs.

I do know that an $8K budget for a pickup truck in my area will get you an old, very high mileage truck.

Not sure on trailer weight, have to do more research on what I'd be interested in

Don't need a plush daily driver LOL

I'm thinking 2500hd because I may have a use for towing more in the future and I'd like to have more than enough truck instead of needing more

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Don't need a plush daily driver LOL

I'm thinking 2500hd because I may have a use for towing more in the future and I'd like to have more than enough truck instead of needing more

I'm with you there.

You might be able to find a decent 2500 southern truck in 2wd flavor for your price range.

My FIL recently bought his new to him 2017 Nissan Frontier specifically for towing a 20ft, ~4300lb (dry) travel trailer. Couldn't get him to even consider a full sized truck. He doesn't think he needs a weight distributing hitch, etc.. I told him he's out of his mind. LOL.

Last edited:
Look for Econoline and Chevy Express type vans. I just bought a 01 E350 7.3l diesel for under 5k. Rated for i think 10k towing, massive space inside. Two years ago i found a 2500hd gas truck in that range as well. I didn't need a 2500 (personal/family truck) but it happened to be cheaper than 1500s at the time. I like the massive brakes it has too.

Spend weeks studying your local market. Some of the best deals get posted and sold same day. I missed out on like 5 vans before this 7.3 powerstroke popped up.

I say you might as well get more capacity than you need. If you spend 5k or so on a vehicle you undoubtedly need to invest another 1-3k making it fully refurbished. A car on a car trailer isn't that hard of a load for most tow vehicles but maybe you want a camp trailer some day or enclosed car hauler.

My parents have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 and I vote on that. Beyond reliable for them and way more comfortable and smoother engine in early 2000’s vintage. I don’t think Tundra is better comfort truck now but in your price range yes!

If I was buying something specifically to tow that car (assuming approx. 6K total payload) I'd lean toward a heavy half unless it's very new - 2012-up? I agree any heavy 3/4 or 1-ton diesel is total overkill; I'd put myself in a 350 or 6.0-powered Chevy 2500, but a heavy half pickup or Tahoe/Suburban with a 5.3 would do it as well.

A 1/2 ton V8 pickup could do it but even with the same engine the suspension and gearing of a 3/4 ton truck will make a world of difference.

That being said, my FIL's 1500HD (crew cab 4x4) that he keeps all-terrain tires on and a fuel tank in the back of really doesn't feel like it would like 6K behind it very well, for long periods - so if you want a heavier truck with more things to drag the truck down (4x4, crew cab, etc.) a diesel may be a logical move... but the maintenance costs go up accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back