Other Uses For Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

While cleaning up the shop I found an awful lot of partial containers of gear oil. Many containers of everything imaginable that would go into a differential or into the hubs of heavy trucks, all told, there are probably gallons.

It isn't going to be used in anything I own anymore.

Is there any other good use for this stuff?

I've been lubing my motorcycle chain with it and it requires adjustment much less often than when I used Amsoil's spray-on Metal Protector.

Subscribing...

Since we are on the same subject, I have some Mercedes differential oil, opened quart.

Can that be used for lubing motorcycle chain?

I think I will give that at try. No reason to think gear oil would bother the o-rings in a chain, is there?

A side note, back when Knuckleheads and Panheads roamed the earth, the instruction from HD was to hook an old chain onto the chain in use, pull it through, put the chain to be lubed in a metal pan with grease in it, and heat the pan until the grease flowed, thereby getting lubricant into the pins and bushings. Let cool, wipe down, pull it back through with the old chain, and you're good to go.

I do miss the sound and smell of the Pans, but I don't miss some of the old ways of doing things.

Great thread CCI. I am in the same predicament.

The motorcycle lube application makes sense!

I too use it for the chain, but as a cleaning fluid. The stuff I use for lube is super tacky and is a pain to get off.

Ditto chain, on bicycles as well as motorcycles, sometimes with a bit of veg oil (adds tackiness over time)

Also rust inhibitor. (Some doubt about the EP additives and moisture generating acids but I don't worry about it much)

Also dribble it into bicycle wheel bearings. These are usually greased, but on the junk pile bikes I use this has often dried out and I can't often be bothered to take them apart.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Life time supply of gun oil.

Or, find someone with an older diesel, ford 7.3, dodge 12/24 valve and mix it with diesel and pour it in the fuel tank.

Great way to get that sulfur smell back we've been missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back