Drag race seen today on highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I saw a "rolling" 50 mph start drag race between a Porsche and Camaro today on Rte 199 this afternoon. Headed up over the overpass of Monticello Ave they got side by side and took off. Surprisingly the Camaro out ran the Porsche by a decent margin by 3 cars I think. I bet they got up to 110 mph in that quarter mile stretch of highway. I got to watch it all go down. As I caught up to the victorious Camaro at Rte 60 I told him good job beating that Porsche.

Was this the smartest thing to do in a county crawling with police everywhere?? Ahh no. Not at all. Also not smart because of the on ramp coming on to 199 at 6pm in the afternoon could of had traffic coming up that ramp and where those guys took off at one could not see if any traffic was coming up that ramp from where they started. I have never seen that kind of activity in a long time.

You can find thousands of rolling races on YouTube. All done on a closed course in "Mexico" of course.
wink.gif

Maybe the guy in the Camaro had the 'get out of jail pass'....as a cop.
I doubt that a cop could afford a Porsche

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You can find thousands of rolling races on YouTube. All done on a closed course in "Mexico" of course.
wink.gif

Or "Peru"
smile.gif

One time while I had my G8GT I had a NASTY CTS-V pull up next to me at a light in rural Indiana. I rolled down my window and asked what he had done (while it was rumpity-rumping :)) and he had cam, full exhaust, blower pulley, tune, Livernois CNC heads, etc. This was when my G8 ran 13.0s@109. When the light went green, I stole the hit (or he was just being nice) and I was about 2 cars out by the time I hit 60. About one “oh [censored] here he comes” later he was out front, and by the time I hit 120 he was literally a full quarter mile out front of me. I have no doubt he didn’t let off until at least 160... and that was the moment I knew someday I would own a CTS-V.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
wink.gif

Or "Peru"
smile.gif

Ironically, those are both towns in rural Indiana as well...

Roll Racing is very popular around here, More popular with the Import/Tuner crowd, But the Camaro/Mustang crowd does it quite often as well.

Not much skill involved (Reaction time/Launching the vehicle). Did one of them beep the horn 3 times?

I get a lot "kids" try these when I'm on the R1. I dont know what inspires someone to race something that weights nothing with too much horsepower.

I don't think so.. Seemed to be a verbal thing. Was definitely interesting to see.

I used to participare in such things on I37 back in my bachelor muscle car days, always as the challengee. Twice on my way into work a cowirker ttied to challenge me with his truck first when noses were even, then later with a huge running start. He never came out ahead. I never took it past 130 MPH on the public roadways.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
bubbatime,

You aren't saying that 81 on an interstate will net you a $2500 money order are you? I assume you're referring to state roads?

If I recall correctly this includes the interstate. Virginia takes speeding seriously. I know of a couple guys that had to get a lawyer for 80+ tickets, but they were out of state drivers.

Never seen any racing, but did see 3 sport bikes running from the PA State Trooper yesterday coming down the mountain. Shortly after I heard the emergency siren go off in town. May or may not have been related, but going that fast around the twisties...

Yeah bubbatime I am well aware of going over 80 mph is a reckless driving ticket. The very pretty young lady who was a PT at the hospital where I worked let me know about that. I routinely go 78 mph on the interstate and they never have messes with me. They are looking for big fish to fry. Of which there are many to be had at certain times.

Now... These guys had nothing on the motorcycles who went by me going 160 plus mph on interstate 64 about 3 yrs ago... That was incredible. I'm going 78 in left lane just past exit for York river state park near my area. I get over to right lane realizing those cats where catching me in a big big hurry. They went by me like I was a dog tied to a tree
lol.gif

That was really crazy given the propensity of deer coming out on to that road at 130 in the morning.

Nygotha a 130 mph limit?? Come on now

Go big or go home.. all I got to say to that
smile.gif

Always good to see you on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back