Petronas Syntium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know anything about this oil? Apparently it is rarely available in the US but as a “mystery oil” it has triggered my curiosity.

Thanks

It is indeed from Malaysia. Syntium supposedly has some magic tech and i was just curious if it was just hype.

Designed with °CoolTech™ Technology to Fight Excessive Engine Heat
Modern driving conditions like stop-start driving, idling, acceleration on highways, driving with heavy loads
and many more put engines under a lot of stress that can lead to excessive heat buildup. Excessive engine
heat generation is not limited to one particular country or driving patterns; it is common issue engines face
across the globe.
PETRONAS Syntium 800 5W-30 is formulated with oCoolTechTM to fight excessive engine heat.
oCoolTechTM targets the critical heat zones – engine parts affected by excessive heat inside the engine to
effectively absorb & transfer the excessive heat and regulates the temperature, defending the engine
critical components from damaging and loss of performance.

PETRONAS Syntium 800 5W-30 is recommended for use in all type of passenger cars and latest model
high performance cars fitted with fuel injections, multi-valves, turbochargers or superchargers operating
under the most extreme conditions.

The experience gathered by PETRONAS on the F1 circuits and most important motoring events and
competitions has enabled the development of PETRONAS Syntium; a range of hi-tech lubricants capable
of meeting the needs of new generation engines – both on track and on the road.

Last edited:
Yes, it's government owned.
However, its JV in Selenia offers far superior oil specs than available in locally in Msia though.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Thanks QP. Did a search and came up empty.
No problem. BITOG search function has limitations, to put it mildly.
smile.gif

I use Google to search BITOG.

Quote:
PETRONAS Syntium 800 5W-30 is formulated with oCoolTechTM to fight excessive engine heat.
oCoolTechTM targets the critical heat zones – engine parts affected by excessive heat inside the engine to
effectively absorb & transfer the excessive heat and regulates the temperature, defending the engine
critical components from damaging and loss of performance.

A bit of poetic license was taken there with the Thermodynamics explanation.

You Conduct, Convect, Radiate, and Transfer thermal energy, you do not "absorb" heat.

Your coolant regulates temperature.

As 4WD said, another oil with smart molecules, or "Intelligent Oil," this time thermodynamically intelligent.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Wise words from Joe90_guy in the previous thread (what ever happened to him I wonder?).

I currently have Petronas Synthium 0W20 in my Suzuki (ditto the wife, daughter-in-law & brother-in-law as we all drive the same car!). I personally wouldn't say it's anything particularly spesh (it's a slightly better that average Group III based 0W20 that's easily good for a 12,500 mile OCI). I get exceptionally good fuel economy (72 mpg imperial) and I'm sure the Synthium 0W20 is helping but I suspect the car's light weight and my state-of-the-art left foot have more to do with it that the oil itself.

Not sure if you’ve seen my UOA of the Syntium 7000 0W40

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4152466/Re:_Petronas_Syntium_7000_0W40

It was old formula, but I’m currently running the new Cooltech stuff, and will do another UOA in June, already have the Wix kit.

I think what I used was made in Italy.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Not sure if you’ve seen my UOA of the Syntium 7000 0W40

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4152466/Re:_Petronas_Syntium_7000_0W40

It was old formula, but I’m currently running the new Cooltech stuff, and will do another UOA in June, already have the Wix kit.

I think what I used was made in Italy.

It's current (September 2015) Malaysian specs is as follows:

Not sure if it has similar specs as Euro/Italian version though.

Wow. Thanks for all the input.
cheers3.gif
I’d say you have given me indications that it is a better than average synthetic. I like the approvals and the combination of high flash point, high VI, low pour point, zero foaming and high TBN. Too bad it is not easily available in the US but marketing it against the established names would probably be a challenge.

Zeng, your UOA looked solid. Don’t know what the fuel dilution and flashpoint might be impacted by.

Last edited:
Yep, it was a pretty good UOA, although very short interval. As for the fuel dilution, at next OC I’ll replace the first oxygen sensor, plugs (NGK iridium), and if I manage to find them, coils (if you have an idea of the ref number.tell me, for now I’m at loss). I don’t have a code yet but I think the heating part of the oxygen sensor is shot, as it is on my yellow Barchetta...

Since this UOA I’ve been going back and forth between SHU 0W40 (Pennzoil platinum in the US ?) and the Cooltech Petronas, and definitely prefer the Petronas, noise and smoothness wise. This engine also likes thin oil, with my grandpa style driving, and the Petronas is on the thin side of a 40.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Wow. Thanks for all the input.
cheers3.gif
I’d say you have given me indications that it is a better than average synthetic.

Be careful, lest the elves hear you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back