Best gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
0w-20 motor oil will do a great job

I think 0w-20 is too thin and runny for guns. It will work in a pinch but I like HDEO 15w-40 or 20w-50 for lubricating firearms. Those oils are much thicker and stay in place better on firearms.

It depends on the area of the country where you live, along with the climate you're shooting in. 0W-20 will work great on guns in Fargo, North Dakota in January. But not in Phoenix, Arizona in June. There you are much better served with 20W-50. That's the beauty of using motor oil. You can custom tailor the weight and viscosity to what you need, based on when and where you are shooting.

I've been using motor oils and greases of various brands and types for the last 50 years on my guns. Occasionally taking a break to try out a new "gun oil" here and there. But I always manage to go back to them. Motor oils are cost effective, and work well for their intended purpose of keeping what needs lubrication, lubricated.

I've never had a gun not run, or stop running due to a lubrication issue. And I've never had to deal with any rust. So that's enough to convince me. I'm really not interested if they score .00000002 one way or the other on the Dual Flame Gas Chromatic Microgramma Electron Analyzing Machine.

This is good info. I just ordered some of those plastic squeeze precision oilers that folks linked to. A quart of synthetic 15W-40 or even 10w-30 is no more than $6.00 and will last me years for use on my guns. I'm in SE PA. I could probably do fine with a quart of any synthetic 10w-40 year round.

Where did you find some good squeeze oilers? I need a new one and haven't found good ones recently.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Where did you find some good squeeze oilers? I need a new one and haven't found good ones recently.

When I made that thread about "Is Ballistol As Good As Everyone Says It Is?" a while back, I bought a 4 oz. container of it for $9.95 from EBAY and it came with a pretty good oiler. I wish I could find some more like it.

Spray carburetor cleaner.
Then use the next larger caliber brass brush on a cordless drill at low speed.
Cleaned 9mm with a .45 brass brush.
Then Breakfree CLP.
For normal clean up on pistols and rifles.
Hopped #9 and Breakfree CLP
A long time ago (20 years ago). I bought for deer hunting a Yugoslavian 8 mm Mauser.
It was caked in Cosmuline. The carb cleaner cleaned it right up.
Gun is stored now, used some cosmuline on just the action to store it.
Breakfree CLP everywhere else.

A .45ACP brass brush down the barrel of a 9mm ? Were you trying to re groove the 9mm barrel ? How did you even manage to get the larger brass brush to fit ? (lol) Seriously , why not just use a 9mm brass brush for a 9mm barrel ?
Originally Posted By: fordman65
Spray carburetor cleaner.
Then use the next larger caliber brass brush on a cordless drill at low speed.
Cleaned 9mm with a .45 brass brush.
Then Breakfree CLP.
For normal clean up on pistols and rifles.
Hopped #9 and Breakfree CLP
A long time ago (20 years ago). I bought for deer hunting a Yugoslavian 8 mm Mauser.
It was caked in Cosmuline. The carb cleaner cleaned it right up.
Gun is stored now, used some cosmuline on just the action to store it.
Breakfree CLP everywhere else.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
A .45ACP brass brush down the barrel of a 9mm ? Were you trying to re groove the 9mm barrel ? How did you even manage to get the larger brass brush to fit ? (lol) Seriously , why not just use a 9mm brass brush for a 9mm barrel?

I love to watch how these gun cleaning threads on this forum turn into Moon shots. With all of these convoluted cleaning methods. Talk about over complicating something! It's a pistol barrel for God's sake. Not a benchrest barrel at a national match.

A .45ACP brass brush down the barrel of a 9mm ? Were you trying to re groove the 9mm barrel ? How did you even manage to get the larger brass brush to fit ? (lol) Seriously , why not just use a 9mm brass brush for a 9mm barrel?

I love to watch how these gun cleaning threads on this forum turn into Moon shots. With all of these convoluted cleaning methods. Talk about over complicating something! It's a pistol barrel for God's sake. Not a benchrest barrel at a national match.

What does the owner's manual mandate ?

Ummm, this is the "Firearms: Lubes, Cleaners & Maintenance" topical area.

That said, a pistol, with a removable barrel, is about the easiest thing to clean because there is effectively zero risk, save for a spring flying when you remove a slide, or on a 1911, the potential for the idiot mark.

Guns where you have to go in from the muzzle scare me the most.

Also not getting the recommendation to use a .45 brush in a 9mm. In some guns, Ill use an undersized jag, but brushes comply...

A .40 cal brush is the perfect size to clean the CHAMBER on a 9MM pistol. Ive used that to clean a dirty chamber of baked on Russian ammo goo.

No,not trying to re-groove the barrel.
I had owned the gun about a year at the time.
Shot 1500 - 2000 rounds through it.
Cleaned it previously after every 500 rounds with the 9mm brush. The 9mm brush did okay.
But didn't clean it well enough.
After the first 2 through cleanings, the pistol jammed a few times.
So I decided to use the larger .45 brush.
Completely spotless clean barrel and no jams afterwards.

I'm still a fan of Mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil I bought (1 quart, to use exclusively on my guns) a few years back - works great as gun oil, actually much better than many/every 'gun oils' I wasted my own money on.

Also, I use 5w-30 Penn Plat in my cars; I don't like Mobil or BP/Castrol, but I do buy Castrol 0w-40 German made oil, the only Castrol I'd pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
3 in 1 oil

My dad bought me my 1st rifle, a DAISY RED RYDER bb gun, at age 5. My grandfather introduced me to the gunpowder firearms at age 6. My grandfather also introduced me to PM at age 6. He used 3 IN 1 oil exclusively. He also had a mixture of trans. fluid and kerosene for cleaning.

I have used many gun cleaning solvents and gun oils off and on,,all did well, never messed up any of my guns, no complaints, I do like the old Gun Scrubber stuff and Rem spray on oil, and maybe I got a few old tubes of gun grease....

So far my T&E of Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm is going very well. I am using it primarily on my Benelli M4 SBS, and have noted VERY minimal wear for the round count thus far (I have owned over half a dozen M4 Benelli's) I am impressed!

Cheaper to buy plastic bottles with needles extensions from Brownells if you wait for a free shipping day. I get three there for usual the cost of two on eBay. Plus they supply bottles with maximum solvent resistence. Worth checking. Amazon can have some deals, too. Don't rule out okd fashioned glass bottles with dropper cap. I boughts about 20 of them, 1/2 or 3/4 oz capacity. Very handy.

I like the Slip 30 for the Ars but use 75w-90 or 140 gearlube or syn ATF or motor oil with out a second thought. I carry spray lube [what ever excites me at the time of purchase ] can't tell the difference and the spray lube doesn't leak all over and make a mess like plastic bottles do. I shoot as weather permits around 200 rounds per week some time more I don't clean the range guns until they start to fail to fire . I wipe off the crud and it does get thick in the crannies and lube often, all of my range guns make 3500 rounds before having operational problems. I have a Ruger P95 the gun I love to hate and that has done 4,000 rounds with out failures of my 231 winchester powder and hard cast round nose 124 gn bullets. The Dan Wesson PM 7 Probably my favorite pistol ever. Wilson Combat quality at a Kimber price , does almost as good then the XD 40 tactical . My Security 6 cruds up way quicker that any semi I own. I haven't taken the Glock that far round count wise but I don't shoot it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back