Kendall 27 yr old 2 cycle oil Would you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 quarts in plastic containers of Kendall 2 cycle oil that says "Kendall 2 cycle oil and 50:1 SAE 30 wt Motor Oil" that is 27 years old. Would you use it for snowblowers, weed wackers, hand and back pack blowers, chainsaws that are 15-40 years old? It's been sealed.

In that kit, yes.

Maybe not in a motorcycle though. An engine seize can kill you.

I'm told autotrans scooters are OK because the transmission disengages fast enough to stop you spilling. Wouldn't want to test it though.

I bought a case of TCW3 outboard motor oil in the early 90's. Put the 1955 outboard away until last year. Fire up right away and in went the old/new TCW3 oil. Runs like a Swiss watch.

I wouldn't use it, I'd take a few pictures of it and place it on the mantle.
smile.gif

I would use it in my weed eater. I was mixing up a gas/Oil blend for mine a couple of weeks ago and found some old 2 cycle oil in the back of a shelf in my garage that I did not know was there. It comes in those small containers so it is easy to overlook.

This oil is probably only 3 to 5 years old, but seems to be working fine. Some guy posted a used oil analysis a while back for a GM car that had been sitting since like the '80s. And the oil was still in pretty decent shape. Oil just sitting in a bottle or oil pan seems to be all right.

It's 2 stroke oil - I'd use it and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Originally Posted By: Jett Rink

This oil is probably only 3 to 5 years old, but seems to be working fine. Some guy posted a used oil analysis a while back for a GM car that had been sitting since like the '80s. And the oil was still in pretty decent shape. Oil just sitting in a bottle or oil pan seems to be all right.

You're probably right, but this is 2-stroke oil, NOT 4-stroke motor oil. Different thing.

This means its intended for use in a total loss system.

This in turn means that, unlike 4-stroke motor oil, it doesn't need to have high oxidative and thermal stability, so perhaps it doesn't.

This point comes up sometimes re using 2-stroke as motor oil (which I have considered as a work-around to try and get a smoker through a UK MOT test, reasoning it would burn cleaner).

General drift of informed advice there seems to be:- DONT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back