Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 57k on SAME Oil & Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside my mum's house is a 2014 Ford Fiesta with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine. Bought new and never, ever has had an oil or filter change in 57,000 miles. Really.
Obviously it's dead. that's why it's outside my mum's :)

Was - apparently - running just fine. Driver said oil light came on. He stopped and lifted the bonnet (hood) the oil was just above 'min'.
Topped it up, drove another five miles. Engine is seized.

Watch this space for photos and description when I come to repair the damage...
Definitely never had an oil change. Ford's excellent records confirm this.

No idea why a driver with 40+ yrs of driving experience would do this??

My guess: oil filter (metal can type) filtration medium finally gives up and blocks main oil-ways. Appears to have seized at the crankshaft end of things. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the filter cut open
35.gif

Surprised it got that far.

Though the 1.0 Ecoboost is known to use a oil.

So it has likely had many many litres (quarts) of top up oil.

He said it 'rarely' needed oil. I'm going to see him on Monday regarding the best way forward for this job. A low mileage used engine will probably be the most economic way. There's a fully-dressed 3K 2016 that I'm looking at a a possible.
Ford have quoted a 'minimum of $5,000 in your money.
The filter cut will give ma a lame excuse to recommission my late father's lathe as I no longer have a cutter.

I'll interrogate him some more regarding how much oil he's had to put in :)

He actually may break even with all of the money he's 'saved'.

Last edited:
The last price I was told to replace a 1.0 Ecoboost engine was £4700.

Apart from oil consumption their main issue is relating to the cooling system.

Thouhh that is in the Fiesta rather than the Focus due to different pipework. Don't know if the same issue affects the 1.0 Ecoboost Mondeo (Fusion) and ues we do have a 1.0 engined full size Family Hatch in Europe. Apparently it isn't as slow as you might expect.

Originally Posted By: NO2
What were they thinking?

It seems the OP runs into a lot of people who never change their oil for between 50k and 75k miles....

And both engines are known to be hard on oil and also don't cope with neglect well either.

Last edited:
$5000 seems like a lot for what is essentially half a motor....or maybe that quote includes labor?

I'd like to see the oil-bathed timing belt after it been subjected to neglected oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Donald64
...I'm going to see him on Monday regarding the best way forward for this job. A low mileage used engine will probably be the most economic way.

I vote for giving him a bicycle.

Originally Posted By: pbm
$5000 seems like a lot for what is essentially half a motor....or maybe that quote includes labor?

£4700. Is the price i have been quoted andni believe thats fitted.

Is isn't that much really.

A friends daughter had a 2010 116i and the engine seized.

BMW paid for a new engine and the bill was around £8000 fitted if I remember correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back