Hot Shot's Secret TBN Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was just poking around on Amazon, looking up a few things I'd seen down at the local truck stop (FR3, most specifically, also by Hot Shot's), when I came across this stuff:

Hot Shot's Secret TBN Booster
tbn_1qt_180122_1.5ac3fd78d105e.jpg

The bottle lists it as an "Engine Oil Detergent Booster", and the description says:

- Increase oil change interval
- Reduce maintenance and vehicle servicing times
- Can be utilized with any commercially Available engine oil
- Increase neutralization capacity of engine oil

Now, I'm not trying to say anything good or bad about it, nor have I bought it, nor even thinking about buying it.. it just got me thinking.

I'm curious if anyone here knows anything about it or has ever used it, as well as what some of the more chemical-educated folks here might have to say about it. Any value to using something like this to extend an OCI in a vehicle with very stout filtration?

Soooo many magic marketing words here:

"Hot Shot's"
"Secret"
"high performance"
"fortified"
"nano lubricant"

I would say there's very little value, if any at all, in using an additive like this to boost TBN. I would say that you'd get more benefit out of topping off your oil with what is already in it over the course of an extended OCI.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I would say there's very little value, if any at all, in using an additive like this to boost TBN. I would say that you'd get more benefit out of topping off your oil with what is already in it over the course of an extended OCI.

Precisely. The marketing claims of:

- Increase oil change interval
- Reduce maintenance and vehicle servicing times
- Can be utilized with any commercially Available engine oil
- Increase neutralization capacity of engine oil

Are all things that are also accomplished by adding a fresh quart of oil.

Typical claims that when examined mean nothing.

Well, this thread certainly didn't disappoint. As I said, I had no plans to buy it, but I was curious what others thought.. pretty much what I expected. Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

...I'm curious if anyone here knows anything about it or has ever used it, as well as what some of the more chemical-educated folks here might have to say about it. Any value to using something like this to extend an OCI in a vehicle with very stout filtration?

No real value.

Too much calcium sulfonate can compete with the AW additive. I.E., I can get a somewhat clean engine but my wear metals could go sky high.

Furthermore, how does this additive or you know the instantaneous TBN of your oil and how much to add?

Run Forest, Run!

I work for HSS, so I thought I could shed some light on the intention of the product. TBN is the detergent additive in oils and serves two purposes in diesel oils. The first is to control deposits on the hot parts of the engine such as pistons and turbo bearings and the 2nd purpose is to neutralize acidic products of combustion from the fuel that can cause corrosive wear. The TBN booster is really intended for diesel owners that wish to extend the oil change intervals while running a quality synthetic oil and bypass filtration. Diesels require a higher TBN than automotive oils due to the soot and sulfur in the fuel, the TBN is consumed over time. Our customers would use oil analysis as a guide to determine the correct amount of TBN to be added. Generally if your oil starts at a 7 TBN and it has decreased to a 3 we would recommend adding enough detergent to bring the oil back to the original level. It is true that TBN detergents fight for the surface against anti-wear additive so that is the reason we recommend using oil analysis as a guide and target the original TBN when boosting the oil.

What? "TBN is the detergent additive in oils"?

Originally Posted By: desllife812
I work for HSS, so I thought I could shed some light on the intention of the product. TBN is the detergent additive in oils and serves two purposes in diesel oils. The first is to control deposits on the hot parts of the engine such as pistons and turbo bearings and the 2nd purpose is to neutralize acidic products of combustion from the fuel that can cause corrosive wear. The TBN booster is really intended for diesel owners that wish to extend the oil change intervals while running a quality synthetic oil and bypass filtration. Diesels require a higher TBN than automotive oils due to the soot and sulfur in the fuel, the TBN is consumed over time. Our customers would use oil analysis as a guide to determine the correct amount of TBN to be added. Generally if your oil starts at a 7 TBN and it has decreased to a 3 we would recommend adding enough detergent to bring the oil back to the original level. It is true that TBN detergents fight for the surface against anti-wear additive so that is the reason we recommend using oil analysis as a guide and target the original TBN when boosting the oil.

I work for HSS, so I thought I could shed some light on the intention of the product. TBN is the detergent additive in oils and serves two purposes in diesel oils. The first is to control deposits on the hot parts of the engine such as pistons and turbo bearings and the 2nd purpose is to neutralize acidic products of combustion from the fuel that can cause corrosive wear....

I think you had better go back and review Chem 101 dude.

TBN is NOT the detergent additive in finished lubricants.

Any responsible person responsible for the well being of a fleet of diesels will monitor TBN and CHANGE the oil when it gets to the condemnation level.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What? "TBN is the detergent additive in oils"?

Here we go....................lol
35.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
They sure like walking into minefields, don't they?
wink.gif

Yep! It looks like they detonated one, and aren't likely to return.
31.gif

Although there are other compounds to improve detergency and increase TBN, overbased metallic sulfonates are the most commonly used. There are two types of metallic sulfonates, neutral and overbased. Neutral sulfonates are most often used as rust inhibitors in grease and include sodium, calcium and barium compounds. Overbased metallic sulfonates provide detergency and TBN boost in engine oils. The most common are calcium and magnesium compounds. A 1% addition of a 400 TBN calcium sulfonate will provide increased detergency along with a 4.0 mg KOH/g TBN increase. An important concern with this type of additive is increased sulfated ash.

Also, overbased calcium sulfonate can be used to improve anti-wear and extreme pressure/anti-scuff performance in oils and greases because of its high calcite content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back