UOA North of the border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering where do the majority of CDN BITOGers send for UOA.. and for how much.??

The reason why Im asking, is I am trying to weigh the benefits of UOA vs just dropping the oil and do an OCI..
Reasoning is; why do a UOA if the cost outweighs the price of a OCI

Yes. totally get it that a UOA will divulge an issue of engine wear etc..
thoughts??
J.

If you have Napa stores up there I'd get one from them. Should be less than $20. Down here they run about $13 or so.

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
Just wondering where do the majority of CDN BITOGers send for UOA.. and for how much.??

The reason why Im asking, is I am trying to weigh the benefits of UOA vs just dropping the oil and do an OCI..

thoughts??
J.

I have been told the CAT dealer in Kanata does it. Have not tried it myself though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
If you have Napa stores up there I'd get one from them. Should be less than $20. Down here they run about $13 or so.

Hmmm I have a UAP Napa store fairly close... i'll inquire... but i doubt it...

[/quote]

I have been told the CAT dealer in Kanata does it. Have not tried it myself though. [/quote]

Ah.. rightoh.. will inquire
Thx

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
--I am trying to weigh the benefits of UOA vs just dropping the oil and do an OCI..

thoughts??
J.

UOA can be used to establish the best OCI for your application, driving style and oil. Once you've done so, no further UOAs needed in that regard.

It is also useful trend wise, to find out if something bad is happening inside.

I use the WIX Part # 24077 test kit, usually $20 - $25 Cdn. If you call various parts stores you can find out
who charges more or less.

The bonus is that the report gives the TBN value without extra charge whereas other labs charge extra for that.

To ship, I pack the black shipping bottle in a padded envelope to avoid shipping problems, pilferage or the post
office trashing your sample. Costs another $10 Cdn.

In Canada there’s one lab in the west and one in the east (Ontario) that just changed address. The shipping labels
in the Kit you get may be old since the address just changed 2 weeks ago:

ALS Tribology
5036 South Service Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada,
L7L 5Y7

I’ve been dialing up my use of FilterMags and extra magnets in the oil filter and each increase resulted
in a decrease in metals PPMs in the oil. The oil is visibly cleaner longer then ever before, so the "dirt" in
the oil is actually mostly metals and I only started at 15 PPMs Iron plus moderate levels of all other metals.

After 4 years of tests and increased magnet use, this to me means the "dirt" was always wear metals! At least in
a healthy late model GM!

I can see now that car manufactures, oil and filter makers never wanted the public to know and preferred to freak
them out over "dirt" instead instead of actual metals wear that they can't filter out or prevent!

Check out the PDF with pics that reached the same conclusion:

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

If you plan to use the information of the UOA to see how far you can stretch your next oil change is one reason. Me.. Im just curious sometimes to see what the wear looks like on different runs. I have yet to do it to see how long to run my oil changes, as I enjoy changing my oil every 5k miles give or take.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I use the WIX Part # 24077 test kit, usually $20 - $25 Cdn. If you call various parts stores you can find out
who charges more or less.

The bonus is that the report gives the TBN value without extra charge whereas other labs charge extra for that.

To ship, I pack the black shipping bottle in a padded envelope to avoid shipping problems, pilferage or the post
office trashing your sample. Costs another $10 Cdn.

In Canada there’s one lab in the west and one in the east (Ontario) that just changed address. The shipping labels
in the Kit you get may be old since the address just changed 2 weeks ago:

ALS Tribology
5036 South Service Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada,
L7L 5Y7

I’ve been dialing up my use of FilterMags and extra magnets in the oil filter and each increase resulted
in a decrease in metals PPMs in the oil. The oil is visibly cleaner longer then ever before, so the "dirt" in
the oil is actually mostly metals and I only started at 15 PPMs Iron plus moderate levels of all other metals.

After 4 years of tests and increased magnet use, this to me means the "dirt" was always wear metals! At least in
a healthy late model GM!

I can see now that car manufactures, oil and filter makers never wanted the public to know and preferred to freak
them out over "dirt" instead instead of actual metals wear that they can't filter out or prevent!

Check out the PDF with pics that reached the same conclusion:

FILTERMAG vs HOMEBREW
https://app.box.com/s/uxvu8dmscf5wcgftutdm0ejqwgn86tw7

Thanks for the info, i am not familiar with that product, where do you get it.??

Filtermags look like a great idea.. but they will be fairly pricey once they get north of the border..
I am thinking i could McGiver something similar using Rare-earth mag from LeeValley

j.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If you plan to use the information of the UOA to see how far you can stretch your next oil change is one reason. Me.. Im just curious sometimes to see what the wear looks like on different runs. I have yet to do it to see how long to run my oil changes, as I enjoy changing my oil every 5k miles give or take.

Indeed.. i get all antsy each fall / spring..LOL

My last OCI (~ 3 weeks ago) on my TL was with a some dated Amzoil XL 5-20 .. and curious to do an UOA to see if its holding up..or ..
J.

To 2K2AcuraTL

To McGiver the same magnet idea, check out the dimensions of your oil filter to see max size you can
fit to it.

It turns out on spin-on filters, a long narrow magnet bonds best with the steel shell and provides
a good field inside. I use 2" L x 3/16" square bar mags next to the FilterMags.

Wide bar magnets, 'rock' on the curved diameter of a filter and only a small amount of the field gets inside the filter.

google magents, there's a few companies that can mail out numerous sizes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Definitely recommend the Toromont CAT kits. TBN/TAN are free as well, if you request it.

Excellent thanks, crazy week, I havent had a chance to call... but I know where are located, thankfully not that far.
I will post details of UOA kits etc when I get them.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
To 2K2AcuraTL

To McGiver the same magnet idea, check out the dimensions of your oil filter to see max size you can
fit to it.

It turns out on spin-on filters, a long narrow magnet bonds best with the steel shell and provides
a good field inside. I use 2" L x 3/16" square bar mags next to the FilterMags.

Wide bar magnets, 'rock' on the curved diameter of a filter and only a small amount of the field gets inside the filter.

google magents, there's a few companies that can mail out numerous sizes.

Indeed i have looked into log narrow RE magnets, found a good source, but shipping north made the purchase completely ridiculous, unless you were buying a skid load..

I may use small RE magnets [1/8 - 1/4] cylinders string them along in a line and set in epoxy.. or.... something
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back