Current Civic's reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For the current 2018 Civic, I wondering what item will prove to be the most reliable of a 10 year period.....direct injection, turbo or CVT?

Hi Michael,

Are you thinking of getting a new one? I remember you traded in your 2015 Civic with around 20k miles for the 2017 Elantra.

The car has a lot going for it but the issues with the Earth Dreams 1.5 engine counter all of it. I would stay away until Honda comes up with a fix

Satin,

No, my co worker is considering a 2018 Civic EXL....I still have my 2017 Elantra and love it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The car has a lot going for it but the issues with the Earth Dreams 1.5 engine counter all of it. I would stay away until Honda comes up with a fix

I hear ya, I'd stay clear too.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I agree. Maybe get the 2.0L non turbo Civic.

Agree, if going the Civic route get the 2.0 NA engine which comes in the LX sedan. The Civic hatch comes with the 1.5 turbo standard. So beware of that one.

Cmon guys, what are you all talking about? Yes, there was an increase in oil level with factory fill, but since I had it changed and switched over to premium gasoline fuel dulution is NO PROBLEM!!! Almost 4k with current fill and level is rock solid. No gasoline smell on the dipstick either. Switched to 5w30 but really 0w20 worked just fine and UOA is a proof to that. Just don’t judge by someone’s observations! It is an AWESOME car with a great engine which requires a little extra attention. And yes, manual is a way to go!!!!!

Also, since it is TGDI, invest in a catch can. Blow by on mine is minimal but still catches some

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Cmon guys, what are you all talking about? Yes, there was an increase in oil level with factory fill, but since I had it changed and switched over to premium gasoline fuel dulution is NO PROBLEM!!! Almost 4k with current fill and level is rock solid. No gasoline smell on the dipstick either. Switched to 5w30 but really 0w20 worked just fine and UOA is a proof to that. Just don’t judge by someone’s observations! It is an AWESOME car with a great engine which requires a little extra attention. And yes, manual is a way to go!!!!!

I agree with your observation. That has been my experience as well with the SkyActiv 2.5. But we are just two people. If Honda came out and pushed this as a solution it would have much more basis.

Here’s the deal - everyone likes to see 40+ mpg and be able to quickly accelerate if needed, right? Well, that’s what turbo charging for along with direct injection. And it comes ata cost - a little extra maintenance and better fluids. If you don’t feel like doing that - get yourself a tundra qith NA and 13mpg

Can you name one make/model that doesn’t require significant financial investment (even routine maintenance) after 100k??

And another thing - reliability. My previous car was ford focus. Great little car. Lease. Around 10 visits to dealer for repairs. Rack n pinion replacement at 800mi, dead battery, clutch pack replacement etc. and all within 22K. Civic - 1 visit for recall work in 18k. Non-reiable? Yeah, right

Common sense has left this tread. Guess I’ll do the same. Enjoy your NA port injected engines with proven reliability. Cheers

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Common sense has left this tread. Guess I’ll do the same. Enjoy your NA port injected engines with proven reliability. Cheers

Will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back