Mosin Nagant (With Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Mosin Nagant owners here? I currently own (1). An all numbers matching 1943 Izhevsk 91/30. The rifle bore is in very good condition.
Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I owned (14) at one given time! Me and my gun shooting/collecting buddies would buy them from the SHOTGUN NEWS magazine for $59-$79. I would usually turn around and sell them for $100-$125 each. Man, I DON'T ever want to see cosmoline again!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is this the one from your friend that passed away in Florida?

No. That's a RUGER MINI-14 that's still there waiting on me. As soon as my new leg is made (supposed to be cast this week) I'm driving there to get it. I have had some major set backs.
frown.gif

If memory serves, this is one of the main weapons you use in the PC game, Cryostasis. A weird game but one of my all time faves.

I had a Westinghouse at one point. Also came across a Westinghouse with Finn capture proof on it, but wasn't quick enough in snatching it up. I'd really like to find an all numbers matching Sniper one day.

I had a numbers matching round receiver 91/30 that I stupidly sold for $100 before the trade sanctions went into effect with Russia.

They're fun guns and minute of man accuracy, but it's hard for me to say they are worth the prices they command nowadays.

But when you think of the sheer number of them that were produced within a short period of time, and the possible history behind each one.. priceless.

Bought two ($89 each) and completely stripped and refinished them. They turned out better than I could have ever imagined. Wished I'd have bought more. All numbers matched. So true about the cosmoline. Kept one and gave the other to my son. Bought 440 rounds of Russian surplus ammo for $79. I'm a member of our outdoor gun range and took it out to give it a try. Only had a 12" x 12" target with me. At 100 yds, with my less than stellar eyesight, 8 of 10 rounds were on paper. A testament to the gun, not my shooting skills.

Last edited:
I have a hex 1917 Izhevsk and a 1942 Izhevsk. Both are superb shooting rifles. Strong bores no pitting. I love the Mosin and 7.62x54R

Not 1 MOA rifles but I hit what I point at all the way to 600 yards.

What I’d like to know is how they managed to make the explosive bullets for this and the Mauser. I was recently reading a memoir of a WW2 German machine gunner. He made reference to their snipers being issued a small number of explosive rounds along with their usual issue. They were used only on the Soviets and great care was taken to make sure none got used or taken to the other fronts. The Soviet snipers had similar loads and he described his buddy being hit in the helmet by one that took a large chunk of his head off.
I had never heard of these before. I was always under the impression that nobody made an explosive round smaller than 20mm.

Cosmoline was a pita, but so worth it
smile.gif
. I did replace the stock after a few bruises though, that combat butt plate is made to kill.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Cosmoline was a pita, but so worth it
smile.gif
. I did replace the stock after a few bruises though, that combat butt plate is made to kill.

I had several techniques on how to remove the cosmoline. I would always start with the low priced WM brake clean. Being I lived in FL. I would sometimes set the stocks out in the sun and let mother nature do her thing. That FL. sun sure did a great job on bringing the cosmoline to the surface. In the end, I would run my parts and pieces in the dishwasher. I wish I had tried Ballistol back then.
Anyone else buy their MN from the SHOTGUN NEWS? Hand picked was $5 more. Ah, the good 'ol days.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back