Top off oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it really matters much if you use a different brand of top off oil other then what is in the sump? Let's say you are 4,000 miles into a 7,500 OCI and running QSUD 5w30 and add 1 quart of Motorcraft simi synthetic 5w30 Are you messing up the chemistry of the QSUD or after 4,000 miles does the chemistry of the QSUD even matter all that much?

I like to buy and extra quart of the oil that's already in my vehicles but it likely doesn't matter as long as it's quality oil. I think there was a similar post not to long ago.

The only time it really matters is in the winter when you're trying to maintain a zero winter weight. In your situation it would be good since you're replenishing the additive pack. Plus the oil is less dirty in the sump.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Nope everything is ok...just try to top off with similar oil base (mineral/semisyn/syn) and weight

If you threw some syn on top of mineral wouldn't you get semisyn? Why would that be bad?

Think of it this way, when you make the switch (couldn't help myself, sorry), you have about a top off's worth of oil in the engine. Now that is quantity, the quality of the remaining oil is the opposite of what you are about to do.
Still worried?
None of mine need topping off, the IS is finally fixed thanks to TSB, except for the HD. When I do top off, it's never the same, usually up a grade or two. With this manner, the more I top off, the less I need to. Your experiences may vary of course.
This is the perfect moment when the saying "oil is oil" applies.

In my Peugeot i have 5 different oils, of 2 different viscosities mixed in, and nothing has blown up
smile.gif

The most I do is top off a synthetic with another synthetic. I try to use the same weight but whatever I have on hand gets tossed in. Some oil is better than low oil, IMO.

Oil is oil there all use the same additives. What chemistry is there to mess up.

It does not matter. One of the primary functions of oil is to transfer heat. So more is better. Volume counts. Prolly more than trying to figure out if partially used chemistry will be negatively impacted ...

I have a big jug with the label torn off and "EURO MIX" sharpied on the side.

It's a mix of Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol 0W-40 oils with a bit of HDEO. All my leftovers go in there and I use it to top off anything and everything.

I prefer to match and buy enough at change to have top off over the oci. But there have been a few times when a cheap qt of house brand has gone in the sump due to cash flows

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I have a big jug with the label torn off and "EURO MIX" sharpied on the side.

It's a mix of Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol 0W-40 oils with a bit of HDEO. All my leftovers go in there and I use it to top off anything and everything.

That's the best top-off oil. Once you do that, you do not care about brands. Just keepin on
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back