Proof of Ford’s “Intelligent” OLM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So occasionally I see people posting that Ford’s OLM only tracks mileage and not driving conditions. This was the case years ago; my 2010 F-350 was like this. However, Ford started adding the “intelligence” into the OLM since then. I have no idea when and where is started, but my 2013 Explorer was smarter...and my 2016 F-150 definitely has the “I” in the OLM.

Here’s the proof. The first picture is of my iOLM monitor (the engine and idle hrs are total; not part of the OLM) and the second is the trip screen I use to track oil mileage. I’m right at 50% on the iOLM and have basically 3,300 miles behind me. So with some heavy math...carry the one, divide by pi and multiply by 8.3 because it’s April and you get 6,600 miles in a complete “oil lifecycle”.

That’s the intelligence kicking in. With average driving, I think the OLM still defaults to 10,000 miles. But if you tow or have lots of idling (that’s me, about 38% on this cycle so far), then the OLM cuts down the mileage. And I have yet to see any UOA that shows the OLM is not accurate, independent of oil used (obviously).

I agree it changed. My wife's prior 2011 Mustang OLM was simply a countdown with either time (1 year max) or mileage (10K max) controlling. My niece's 20q3 Fusion and my wife's 2017 Mustang OM's show how OLM calculated oil life varies with driving conditions, but still specify O/FCI required every 10K miles max or 1 year max regardless of OLM readout.

I think it needs to be noted that not all Fords have an OLM that can be displayed on the vehicle, some of them you have to run a “Vehicle Health Report” through SYNC.

I guess my wife's driving of her 2017 Explorer is "normal"
crazy2.gif
because for over a year since we had it it just counts down. It doesn't matter the seasons or the type of driving. It faithfully follows 10% loss of oil life for every 1,000 miles driven. Granted probably 40-50% of her driving is highway. But this winter she used the remote start too frequently and yet it's still tracking 10% loss for every 1,000 miles
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I guess my wife's driving of her 2017 Explorer is "normal"
crazy2.gif
because for over a year since we had it it just counts down. It doesn't matter the seasons or the type of driving. It faithfully follows 10% loss of oil life for every 1,000 miles driven.

I think this is still the case and what confuses people (or disappoints them) are that they think their driving conditions are "special" and not "normal". What Ford's engineers have determined to be within the normal range is likely quite large and far-reaching, especially when it's just for regular-use cars or trucks. People that think because they drive their cars "hard" or city stop-and-go driving mean nothing out of the ordinary to Ford's calculations.

a lot of things go into oil life as everyones driving varies!! wonder how it knows if you2 using %1.99 oil or a real synthetic @ $12 a qt!!!

Never seen one iota of proof that any oil life monitor will differentiate between oil types. It's fine though as those who pay $12/quart will justify their purchases with their unwavering belief that that oil is "better".

I am guessing that the “intelligence “ portion of the OLM is just a algorithm that has been updated over the years. It all depends on what the meaning of intelligent is and Ford has their definition.

When OLMs can do live analysis then I might consider that intelligent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Never seen one iota of proof that any oil life monitor will differentiate between oil types. It's fine though as those who pay $12/quart will justify their purchases with their unwavering belief that that oil is "better".

Correct I do not believe there is sensor in the oil with the ford system (like Honda, like GM) its simply assuming a grade and an API spec.
It wouldn't know if you filled it with mad dog 20/20 or, group 5 jet oil - or if a filter was torn.

Typically these systems operate on a penalty basis - monitoring load, and temps, idle, inlet air temps, and a variety of inputs that already on the truck- then reducing life based on what really is a pretty sophisticated algorithm. Some include time, others dont.

My Mercedes system counts time as well forcing me to change oil after a year - even though the vehicle had 500 miles one the sump and was stored indoors.

Whereas the honda does not factor time at all The Honda system is based primarily on sustained oil temps and other inlet temp data with a vehicle creating a degradation curve which is then compared to a predetermined heat based oil degradation curve then applying a life result.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back