add my maxlife 5 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all !
i have a few jugs of Valvoline maxlife 5 30 and was wondering if its ok
to add it to my 2 other vehicles requiring 0w 20?. and how much to add.

thx

I would avoid that unless they're burning oil, at least not put more than a quart in at each oil change if that. Maxlife contains seal swellers which if you don't have worn out seals, will cause them to wear faster.

You have some reason to believe that seal swellers in Cali go on vacation during the summer? Adding a little 5W30 of regular oil (not maxlife) would be fine but there's a reason that those seal swellers aren't put in ALL oil, only for worn engines. Once you start using it you'll want to keep using it.

Last edited:
No oil company or auto manufacturer that I am aware of makes any kind of claim that once a high mileage oil is used it must continue to be used. Maxlife full synthetic carries Dexos (GM) approval so it's suitable even in a new car. The maxlife syn blend carried in the past as well. All oils, regular or HM are said to contain seal conditioners but they are a little higher in HM oils. It's very doubtful you will have any problems adding some HM oil to regular even in a lower mileage vehicle and then switch back to all non HM

I thought that one of the conditions of API SN oil, was seal conditioners were included in ALL oils that met this spec.

At least, I thought I read about that years ago, when we moved to SN.

Originally Posted By: Hybrid
thx
i was thinking 25% or 3:1 ??

That would be my approach. And I'd only blend it with valvoline, preferably maxlife oil.

Would result in a viscous 20wt a very thin 30. Either should be just fine. Since we're not in the winter, startup viscosity is less of an issue.

I always have left over top off oil buying 5 Qt. Jugs. I'm not brand loyal. I use whatever oil I have left over for top off. Then what I don't use gets put in the mower at the beginning and middle of mowing season.

Haven't been to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change place for over a year, but at least before losing Dexos 1.2 status, Maxlife was the only semi syn they carried. As referred above, it's good to go in any car, even new and seal softeners are no big deal.

well maybe, according to him, seal conditioners become seal swellers if not
used properly. not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back