Exhaust filtration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
I was reading and earlier post about an air filter that was possibly dirty...
On the opposite side of the spectrum Could a device (Filter) be put on the end of your tail pipe (change once a year) and catch some pollution, if so why or why not? Air pollution is no joke.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Gasoline particulate filters are coming to gas powered vehicles eventually.
Because GDI engines already emit particulate levels exceeding the limits for diesels.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Because GDI engines already emit particulate levels exceeding the limits for diesels.

Ironic

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Car diaper lol

We all need exhaust diapers,
spankme2.gif
hope some day they make them (That Fit) and make us put them on.

Exhaust Filtration is DEF. In petrol cars, running synthetic oil and a reusable filter from AFE AEM Dryflow or Injen Nano is the best it will get.

I saw the exhaust when an eco boost engine floored it and it was black/grey smoke. Lol

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Explains why the tail pipes are so sooty.

Ironically my 2015 VW PASSAT TDI tailpipe was very clean as I drove it in to the buy back with 62k miles on it.

I saw the exhaust when an eco boost engine floored it and it was black/grey smoke. Lol
Explains why the tail pipes are so sooty.

Stupid as it my sound a filter at the end of a tail pipe may not be a bad Idea.
It has to let air go out just like we let air go into a filter,
Funny thing is would we stand and breath the air behind one of our exhaust pipes. With or without a filter (You Pick).

Seems kind of silly to me, modern vehicles are so much lower polluters than everything else with an ICE, and we're talking about gasses, not something a paper filter is going to stop. If you see a vehicle with black smoke continually coming out of a tailpipe and your state doesn't have a mechanism to report that, petition for it as it's an exception to properly running vehicles unless it has something like a classic car exemption.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Seems kind of silly to me, modern vehicles are so much lower polluters than everything else with an ICE, and we're talking about gasses, not something a paper filter is going to stop. If you see a vehicle with black smoke continually coming out of a tailpipe and your state doesn't have a mechanism to report that, petition for it as it's an exception to properly running vehicles unless it has something like a classic car exemption.

Yup 50 years ago you would have said the same about catalytic converters. Can't see the smoke?
??? we can and should do better. I would be willing to spend 50 bucks on a once a year filter that goes on my tail pipe, I don't even know if there is such a thing but i'd be willing.I hope were not so stuck in this every day stuff that we can't figure out a way to keep this planet cleaner... Small minds think small thoughts...I want to see some change I hope you do too.

Im venting and I hope it makes people think...

The filter would have to be a lot more complex than a simple muffler attachment. . Anything that can clog will at some point (probably quickly) and impede flow and reduce efficiency, and then cause the car to run poorly, likely resulting in much higher overall emissions and fuel consumption.

DPF already exist and they’re not perfect (nor cheap).

And most of us diesel drivers would like to find a way to remove the stupid DPF from our exhaust streams.
There is little point in collecting soot and then injecting raw diesel into the trap to burn it off, except to please the tree people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back