VPN on Personal Computer & Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about subscribing to a VPN service now that I'll be traveling more often.

1. If I use my personal laptop and connect to my company wifi, and then to the VPN, can my employer still see what websites I'm going to?
2. My main concern is using public wifi while I'm away from home and paying bills, etc. Can the host of the wifi or a hacker see this info if I am logged into the VPN?

Might be $ 10/mo. well spent.

On question 1, theoretically no. But you'd be a fool to visit anything even on VPN that could make you lose your job.

On question 2, theoretically no.

If you have a home computer that you leave running, you could set it up with TeamViewer and remote into your home machine to do sensitive browsing. This is what I did when I traveled for work but still wanted to feel connected to home.

I'd get a private VPN for your personal stuff. Most large employers log all of their traffic. On the good side, most also block traffic that they don't want. Anything you type through your employer's network can be monitored, even SSL traffic if an intermediary server is installed.

I have Torguard, it is about $64 per year up to 5 devices.
I used it for 2 home PCs, 2 Phones and 1 work laptop for almost 1 year now.
You can also input the setup into the home router for home PCs or when you work from home.

Here is a referral link:
https://torguard.net/aff.php?aff=2973

Use the code TGLifetime50 for 50% off bringing it to around $30.
Not bad for a piece of mind.

Do not put a vpn on your work computer. They will see all your traffic going to the vpn, that is a red flag.

They most likely are running something that will block the vpn anyways. Also you have admin access on a corporate computer to install the virtual nics to get to the vpn?

I wouldn't mess with this you will get fired.

VPN is an encrypted point to point link between your PC and the remote host connection. Your employer will only ever see your target node connection. All traffic between is unreadable. As you browse from the remote connection the VPN provider can see your connections outward.

I'd check your employer's IT policy to see what they say about connecting to their network with your personal laptop. This is not a case where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. You could lose your job depending on your employer. Remember that the network you are connecting to at work belongs to your employer. They can be held accountable for it's use. They may well block personal vpn use

for a personal vpn, I suggest checking out NordVPN. I can have up to 6 devices connected and I'm not paying even $5 a month. They also have a 30 day cancellation policy. It works on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and Linux. Performance is has been very good and customer service responds promptly and they don't keep logs. There is no complicated setup either. I'd also recommend setting your DNS server setting on your wifi/ethernet adapter to NordVPN's for a more secure environment. If you have to choose a protocol and you don't have an IT background, I'd recommend sticking with OpenVPN otherwise, go with IPSEC if you are comfortable with it. These are the more secure protocols.

you should be fine with most any vpn as long as you remember to turn it on ;-) (I've seen people forget to turn them on in coffee shops and then get hacked) You are really just trying to harden your system enough that they go after an easier target than you. Google best vpn reviews and you'll find one that suits your needs.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
1. If I use my personal laptop and connect to my company wifi, and then to the VPN, can my employer still see what websites I'm going to?

Not in ways relevant to a VPN; but their machines may have other methods of monitoring (keylogger, for example) that record what you're doing apart from the machines communications with the VPN server.

Your data is encrypted between you and the VPN, so snooping on any WiFi networking is going to be near-impossible for anyone. Internal logging and monitoring on the machine is local, though.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
2. My main concern is using public wifi while I'm away from home and paying bills, etc. Can the host of the wifi or a hacker see this info if I am logged into the VPN?

Nope. Your communications with the VPN server are encrypted coming off of your WiFi antenna communicating with the router.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Do not put a vpn on your work computer. They will see all your traffic going to the vpn, that is a red flag.

You should remain mindful of this, too, oilpsi2high.

I don't think OP was going to put a personal VPN on his work machine, but I'm a little confused by how he'll be traveling and connect a personal computer to his company Wi-Fi. Is he talking about when in the office, or are they providing him with a cellular hotspot?

He said personal computer.. but how are you connecting to work wifi on the road?

At a remote site?.. if so that might get you fired bringing a personal pc onto work network.

He said personal computer.. but how are you connecting to work wifi on the road?

At a remote site?.. if so that might get you fired bringing a personal computer onto work network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back