Effect of forest fires on air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a bad forest fire season last summer. I got around to changing the Fram Extra Guard air filter in my 2005 Taurus. I happened to have the results from a UOA showing 28 ppm Silicon after 6 months and 5000 miles but the air filter was in in place since last April including the summer filled with choking smoke from the fires. Wondering if some of the fine smoke particles made it past the filter.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Not often we can see the effects of wildfire smoke. How many hours was it operated during the fires? The back of the filter does not appear lighter than the front.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Thanks for posting. Not often we can see the effects of wildfire smoke. How many hours was it operated during the fires? The back of the filter does not appear lighter than the front.

The fires lasted all summer and depending on the wind it could be literally choking or just fine. Here are a few shots within 60 miles of my place. The government declared a state of emergency across the province so they could evacuate certain towns.

Last edited:
would a tractor style "spin" dirt trap help protect the filter from this like it does from dust?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Also, I’m wondering if the yellow oil coated Fram Tough Guard Air filter could help.

Just ordered up Fram Tough Guard Air filters for my Burb and Taurus from Amazon.ca. Thanks for everyone’s kind interest.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
I'm curious whats this. Something that was burning and came out of the sky?

Haha, that was that dang piece material that used to be inside my camera lens on my Iphone 5. It showed up in other photos as well around that time.
lol.gif

Of course the dirtier the air the more often a filter should be replaced and the more particles make it past the filter. It's seldom at a problematic level without the owner suffering far more respiratory distress than the vehicle does.

Yes, smoke goes thru filters. That's why people die from smoking.

I had to stay in the house for a week last summer when the wind blew that Canadian smoke down across the border, I have allergies, get sick from that stuff.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The weather guys are predicting another hot summer and more fires. Yikes.

Don't we have forest fires all over the place up here every year any way? I almost had to evacuate my home a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back