Hamburger "Order of Operations"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is finally grilling season.

If you make a hamburger with the following ingredients: bun, beef patty, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo/mustard

What goes in what spot for an ideal burger? In other words, you put the "bottom bun" on the plate first. What goes on top of that? And then what goes on top of that?

I'm convinced there is an optimal order, and whenever I've had a unsatisfying burger in the past, it was probably because the order was not right.

You don't want your patty juice to soak the bun and make it soggy, but you also don't want your cheese right next to your mayonnaise because it makes a salty mess.

Onion on top of the patty might work to impart some heat to fresh onions, making them less hot?

Raw onion on top along with everything else, solid to liquid going up.

Cooked onions on the bottom.

Order doesn't matter. What does matter is that the beef be a nice 85/15, grilled to medium for juicy. I put garlic butter on the buns and toast them on the grill as well. Fan favorite. I use the bakery buns from my Publix. They are fantastic.

I like to try "different" cheeses for a nice flavor. Muenster, Fontina, Havarti, Gouda, Gruyère, etc and not just regular American or cheddar.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
top bun
mustard
onion
lettuce
tomato
letuce
melted cheese
beef patty
pickle (round slices)
mayo
bottom bun

Lettuce twice? Just confirming.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
top bun
mustard
onion
lettuce
tomato
letuce
melted cheese
beef patty
pickle (round slices)
mayo
bottom bun

I use lettuce twice: one on each side of the bun with everything else between. Protects the bun from getting soggy from tomato juices and burger grease!

Originally Posted By: emmett442
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
top bun
mustard
onion
lettuce
tomato
letuce
melted cheese
beef patty
pickle (round slices)
mayo
bottom bun

I use lettuce twice: one on each side of the bun with everything else between. Protects the bun from getting soggy from tomato juices and burger grease!

I hate wet cheese. And tomato sliding all around...

Personally, I skip the cheese, or else it'd be a cheeseburger.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Squirt some Pennzoil between the buns and eat it like a man.
crackmeup2.gif

27.gif

I thought this was a family oriented site!

laugh.gif

A quality beef and I like to use Mcormic hamburger seasoning mixed in the beef grilled medium as for toppings I like...
Let
Tomato
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickles
And chilli if available

I must say one of my favorite restaurant burgers esp considering the price is the 99 restaurants All Star Burger. Really has great flavor and good size too!

Bottom bun
Jalapeno mustard
Brisket burger
Sharp cheddar
Grilled onions and mushrooms
Bacon
Top bun with more jalapeno mustard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back