Mobil 1EP, 5W30, 6200mi, Ford 2.0l Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2017 Ford Escape 2.0l Ecoboost. M1 5W30 Extended Performance (not ESP as on report), in vehicle around 1 year.
Sheared down to a 20w probably from fuel dilution. This was the 2nd oil change from 2200mi to 8400mi. Zero oil added during period.
Short trips Monday-Friday,cold engine-->2.5mi to train station, sit 12 hours, 2.5mi -->home.
Car is driven longer on weekends to fully get warmed up with some longer trips at highway miles.
Oil was pretty stinky, thinking I might dial back to 5000mi changes with the short trip/severe conditions.

Your wear metals look good, plenty of life left in the oil. The only thing, which seems to be common with EB engines, is it sheared your cST from 11+ to 7.6, from a 30 to a 20. But it doesn't seem to affect the wear numbers. It's the same with my 2.3 EB in our Explorer. I'm curious what your oil life read at the 6200 OC? Did they indicate any fuel in the oil?

Whimsey

5,000 mile OCI is a good idea. That’s what I do with mine. If you like Mobil 1, stick with the original. It’s cheaper and will serve you well.

I just change the oil in our Edge 2.0 Ecoboost. The used oil did not have a noticeable gas smell at all. Just over 8000 miles on the oil and OLM at 20%.

Mobil 1 5W30 Extended P in it now. I plan to run it until the OLM gives me a message at 15%.

Originally Posted By: MParr
5,000 mile OCI is a good idea. That’s what I do with mine. If you like Mobil 1, stick with the original. It’s cheaper and will serve you well.

I found 10W-30 EP and 5000 mile changes are required in my 3.5 Ecoboost F150.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: MParr

I found 10W-30 EP and 5000 mile changes are required in my 3.5 Ecoboost F150.

??? why?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I think 5000 miles is a good oci for you.

X2. Your daily grind is definitely short trip, so that falls under severe service. I'd lower the OCIs slightly if it was me but even the sheared oil doesn't seem to hurt anything. The engine seems to handle it just fine. Who knows.

They don't test for fuel or show flashpoint? that sucks
frown.gif

What was the oil life monitor at? You’ve got a young engine and those are low wear numbers. Fuel dilution is speculative...M1 shears down to 20w in my motor w/o any fuel dilution. Unless you OLM is done or the wear numbers are high, I see no need to decrease the oil cycle.

But, to each their own. I’m a proponent of 5,000 mile cycles w/o any data.

the 10W30 EP should be a bit better as it starts from a 10W + not a 5W less lighter oil to burn off + less viscosity improvers to shear!! i am next door in PA + find the 10W ok in winter + since its "synthetic" most of the waxes are removed from the refined CRUDE oil it is aka group III although some say the extended uses some PAO aka real synthetic in the blend!!

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Sheared down to a 20w probably from fuel dilution.
"Shear" is a separate thing from fuel dilution. Both things reduce viscosity, hence the confusion.

From Jay a few years ago:---"When an oil shears permanently from a higher viscosity to a lower one, VII polymers are actually cut (sheared), so "shear" is the correct term."

You can easily go 7,500 miles in your situation. Just use Mobil1 0w40 instead. Highly tested (to MB 229.5), and its almost a 30 weight already (12.9 kv100, where 12.5 is the line between a 30 and a 40). Gives you a very tough oil with a tad extra viscosity, so when you fuel dilute you have plenty of room to reduce viscosity. You'll likely finish the oil interval at about 9 cSt kv100, judging by your usage pattern, more margin for you to protect bearings.

A fellow Long Islander. I'd follow severe service intervals. Between the SSP and LIE, traffic jams, and your short hops to the train station, why tempt fate?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Sheared down to a 20w probably from fuel dilution.
"Shear" is a separate thing from fuel dilution. Both things reduce viscosity, hence the confusion.

From Jay a few years ago:---"When an oil shears permanently from a higher viscosity to a lower one, VII polymers are actually cut (sheared), so "shear" is the correct term."

You can easily go 7,500 miles in your situation. Just use Mobil1 0w40 instead. Highly tested (to MB 229.5), and its almost a 30 weight already (12.9 kv100, where 12.5 is the line between a 30 and a 40). Gives you a very tough oil with a tad extra viscosity, so when you fuel dilute you have plenty of room to reduce viscosity. You'll likely finish the oil interval at about 9 cSt kv100, judging by your usage pattern, more margin for you to protect bearings.

I put my 3.5L ecoboost on 0w40 early on … then went from 5k OCI to 7k (OLM)

My wife's 2016 Escape 2.0 EB does 10k runs on Castrol EP, but here daily commute is mostly rural highway 12 miles each way so the engine gets warmed fully. Like pretty much all GDI engines there is fuel dilution but I've yet to read a report where the fuel dilution can be correlated to engine wear metals.

With your short trips, 5-6k OCI's would be fine though using an EP oil might be a little wasteful.

The reason I went M1 EP was last year when I bought it, Walmart had a pallet display of M1 jugs on rollback with the regular M1 and EP mixed together. They honored the display price, think it was around $22 minus the M1 $10 rebate.

Forgot to mention that this was the older Dexos spec M1, not that it would make that much difference. Filter was Motorcraft FL910S, looked fine when I cut it open.
Really like the 2.0l EB engine. Seems well built, doesn't burn a drop of oil and really has some pep when on the highway.
Got the WIX oil sample kits for around $10 on sale from RockAuto. Guess I can't complain too much about the abbreviated test results.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
After reading this I am going to get two jugs of Mobil 1 EP and use the rebate. But instead of 5W30 I will be getting 10W30.

Any Mobil 1 10W-30 is not Dexos 1 Gen 2 so it has higher calcium. This can possibly lead to LSPI on smaller turbo direct injected engines. You won't gain any viscosity benefits over the 5W-30 but the NOAK is less I believe. The NOAK of the 5W-30 is 9, which is pretty good. Will the lower NOAK of the 10W-30 make up for it's higher calcium level and the possibility of LSPI with higher calcium oils, I don't know.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back