License plate fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks:

Not exactly a hardcore maintenance issue - but what are you guys using for license plate fasteners?

Mine are rusted badly and look like garbage. What should I look at for a replacement? Some guys seem to suggest aluminum (6x16 on a Honda).

Not looking to spend a ton - just want something that isn't going to rust.

It depends on your application.

If you car takes M6 fasteners, use nylon M6 license plate fasteners.

If your are screwing into a plastic bumper, there are stainless license plate screws available.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I use a stainless steel square drive screw to make it harder for some slug to steal my plate. Available at Ace Hardware.

Doesnt work in Canada, robertson drive is common.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I use a stainless steel square drive screw to make it harder for some slug to steal my plate. Available at Ace Hardware.

Haha, I was just about to mention that any slug who works construction in canada will laugh at your robertson screws! Most wood screws here are robertsons, only drywall screws are 100% phillips.

I bought a bag of 10 stainless machine screws for like $15 or $20 when I got my personalized plate. I hate rusty plate screws and did not want to ruin my plate. Those screws were pricey, but I have 4 round head allen screws on each plate and it looks super clean!

I grab the stainless ones and put a thick coat of anti-seize or grease on them. Honestly haven't needed to remove them so I can't say it worked. I like the Allen heads just to be a little less common than a Philips. On my bike, I mix it up with two different fastener heads.

I've noticed that most dealers just throw self tapping sheet metal screws in there. I always have to chase the threads with a tap to get my metric screws in.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi folks:

Not exactly a hardcore maintenance issue - but what are you guys using for license plate fasteners?

Mine are rusted badly and look like garbage. What should I look at for a replacement? Some guys seem to suggest aluminum (6x16 on a Honda).

Not looking to spend a ton - just want something that isn't going to rust.

You want stainless. Aluminium will cause galvanic corrosion in the rear plate holder and you will never get them out.

We use stainless here at work and put a small dab of silicone grease on the threads.

We used to use plastic, but the metal in the trunk lid where they screw into would get just a slight amount of rust in the nut, and the plastic bolts would break, nearly every time. We were always having to drill them out.

We switched to stainless about 5 or 6 years ago, never an issue.

Last edited:
Some cars have square holes punched in sheet metal so those expanding plastic square things are required.

I touch black paint on ANY such fastener as it makes them vanish.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Rand

Haha, I was just about to mention that any slug who works construction in canada will laugh at your robertson screws! Most wood screws here are robertsons, only drywall screws are 100% phillips.

I bought a bag of 10 stainless machine screws for like $15 or $20 when I got my personalized plate. I hate rusty plate screws and did not want to ruin my plate. Those screws were pricey, but I have 4 round head allen screws on each plate and it looks super clean!

So what, Canada has construction workers who like to steal license plates? I drove the van throughout Canada last summer, and no one stole my NC license plate. I also use allen head machine screws on my Ridgeline.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
This is what I have on both cars since my wife visits her parents in Brooklyn a few times a year.

Once mounted, you can fill in the void with JB Weld. Now it's a real security torx bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back