Easy peel hard boiled eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on a low carb diet and eat a lot of hard boiled eggs. I used to hate making hard boiled eggs because they would never peel without bits of egg clinging to the shell. I stumbled on this method by experimenting and it works EVERY TIME. The eggs peel quickly with no waste. FYI . Hope this is helpful

Place eggs in a pan of cold water.
Bring to a boil, then turn off heat, cover and wait 15 minutes.
Fill another pan with cold water.
Drop each cooked egg in the pan of cold water, DO THIS ONE EGG AT A TIME.
Wait 5 seconds then crack and peel. A quart jar will hold a dozen eggs and they are ready for a quick snack.
Do not put unpeeled eggs in the frig. They will dry out and peel poorly.

Works every time with all eggs. I guess the temperature shock loosens the egg from the shell.

Last edited:
I always thought age had something to do with it too, but this advice is certainly worth trying.

I eat'm too..

Bring eggs to a boil then time 7:30
just turn off heat let them sit 7:30

rinse to cool then fridge.

works 99%

Old wives theory is keep them to the expiration then the above for easiest peel..if egg floats in water it's spoiled..eggs are good for a month then another month after they're boiled.

my HB egg knowledge.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I eat'm too..

Bring eggs to a boil then time 7:30
just turn off heat let them sit 7:30

rinse to cool then fridge.

works 99%

Old wives theory is keep them to the expiration then the above for easiest peel..if egg floats in water it's spoiled..eggs are good for a month then another month after they're boiled.

my HB egg knowledge.

+1 on this. I've always found you have to make sure to boil them long enough. I usually go 8 minutes minimum.

You short the cook time, they won't peel easy no matter what you do to cool them.

75 cal. a piece

I buy them in the cardboard carton...break that in half for the HB ones keep the raw in the full dozen cartons.

Oldtom,

I've been using this method for some 30+ yrs
Take your eggs out of the fridge ahead of time and bring them closer to room temperature.
Bring a pot of water to a boil, and drop the eggs in 1 at a time with some tongs. It helps to keep the batch of eggs to no more than 10-12.
(warming up the eggs will reduce cracking)
Boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes. 8 minutes for a little runny yolk, 10 minutes for a firm yolk.
When time is up take the eggs out with tongs and put them into an ice bath for 15-30 minutes.
Take eggs out of the ice bath and put in fridge and they're ready to peel for the next morning.
These times work great for lower elevations, when you get into the mountains(say about 5,000-7,500 ft) you'll need to cook longer

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I've heard if the egg is hard to peel it means it's fresh.

Exactly. I get eggs straight off the farm, by the flat. They simply can't be hard boiled, when they're only a day or two old. They need to sit a couple of weeks first.

My Mom and grandmother (now both long ago deceased) always poured in about a half of cup of white or brown vinegar into the boiling water and that always works pretty well and eggs would always peel easily.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Wait 5 seconds then crack and peel.

After only 5 seconds in cold water, the egg will still be super hot to the touch, so I don't know how you can hold it and peel it at that point, unless maybe if you wear gloves.

Growing up, I remember eggs were easier to peel, although the fresh ones were still harder to peel than older ones. Whatever they are feeding the chickens these days makes eggs harder to peel in general.

Also, that youtube video trick posted above - that only works with old eggs.

STEAM them for fifteen minutes and immediately run cold water over them and let them sit.
Easy to peel, and yolks are creamy and yellow.

My wife, who ran a commercial kitchen in a previous life, does it this way;
Let the eggs cool down, then tap the side of the egg on a work surface just hard enough to crack the shell, then roll the egg across the work surface using gentle pressure. The shell will peel off easily without leaving fragments stuck to egg.
Works every time!.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: HeritageHighRoof
I have used this glass method and it works great!

SERIOUSLY? This actually works? Is there a procedure to how you boil the eggs to make this work, or any technique you use to boil the eggs will result in the same outcome?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
SERIOUSLY? This actually works? Is there a procedure to how you boil the eggs to make this work, or any technique you use to boil the eggs will result in the same outcome?

The "procedure" is to let the eggs sit for a month before you boil them and peel them.

This video trick does not work on fresh eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back