work trucks cutting red lights?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
really?

I make a left on a green arrow, and this guy just proceeds trough the intersection on a red.
He was not already in intersection.
almost nails me and gives me the blank deer look.

No morning coffee yet?

P.S. this is the same road where I complained couple years ago about school buses/big trucks cutting into the opposite lanes for not keeping their own lane of traffic...

Last edited:
I drive a parts courier 3 days a week in Omaha and Lincoln and encounter someone doing that about 2-3 times per week. Not only get the blank deer in headlight look, but they will often honk as well and then flip you off as well as if to say "How dare you get mad when I fail to follow the law, the laws do not apply to me." These are the same morons who tailgate and weave in and out of traffic cutting people off and driving like they are in a NASCAR race and then there they are , stopped at the next light having gained maybe 1 or 2 car lengths at best. It is very frustrating, but all you can do is control what you can. I try and keep my blood pressure nice and low, so I drive defensively and expect to see idiots on the road. It is quite a rare trip when I do not. Often it seems these are so many drivers with their eyes glued to their cell phones rather than watching where they are actually going. I have been rear ended twice in the past 5 years by drivers with their heads buried in their phones.

Count your blessings, and yes, I see work trucks flagrantly stretching yellow lights. Speaking of left green arrows, watch the folks opposite you making a right on red. I got tagged recently by someone who started to go just as I was nearly through the green arrow; he was looking to his left and not to his front.

Was the guy looking at his phone?
Seems to be responsible for 90% of the stupidity I see on roads these days...

I almost had the commute from heaven this morning, left just a few minutes earlier than usual and the roads seemed empty. Made all 5 of my lights and didn't even have to bring it up near 6000 RPM to merge onto the highway successfully, although I guess I like revving her up sometimes.
My last light is a big double left turn almost right into my work, this is a LONG light and I saw that it had just turned green when I left the off ramp so I really got on it good. Only one car in front of me, big black SUV meandering slowly down the right left turn lane so I shoot for the far left lane.
Of course, they lazily drift over into my lane DURING THE TURN and almost hit me.
Could have been a flawless start to the day, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO...

BTW, work trucks are worthy of extra attention...often not their vehicles, often on the phone or messing with GPS, and time is usually money to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Was the guy looking at his phone?
Seems to be responsible for 90% of the stupidity I see on roads these days...

I honk him good , but still the blank deer look.
He just took off on red.

I don't cut in front of trucks, they are working I'm just commuting. I timing and space allows Ill give the guy a double headlight flash to yield right of way. He's got 15 tons, I got 1.5 to stop. Its all bout OVERALL traffic flow not ME.

I DO take left on red arrows when its safe to do so.

I have a large brain, the light doesn't. I'm not sitting around waiting for a light when no one's coming.

Laws?
Bad Laws are for clueless law abiding sheeple to follow. That aint me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't cut in front of trucks, they are working I'm just commuting. I timing and space allows Ill give the guy a double headlight flash to yield right of way. He's got 15 tons, I got 1.5 to stop. Its all bout OVERALL traffic flow not ME.

I have a large brain, the light doesn't. I'm not sitting around waiting for a light when no one's coming.

Laws?

I don't cut in front of trucks/semis.
I was already in intersection.

This is a major route around ORD airport.
I have been known to keep a bit back on my left turning lane to allow a bit of space for semis making a left/right.

Per IL law, you can make a left on red only on a one-way street (kind of like a right on red)

One day you realize that no matter how much you complain the other drivers aren't listening.

Work on yourself. I drive 60-80k miles per year on some terribly congested roads here and there is always something to complain about. But all that does is get YOU mad...

Jeremy Clarkson said the fastest car in the world is a rental car.

The second fastest is a work Van/Truck.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Laws?

Herds (flocks?) of sheep move around much more efficiently than people who insist on driving like individuals in congested traffic. Think about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
One day you realize that no matter how much you complain the other drivers aren't listening.

Work on yourself. I drive 60-80k miles per year on some terribly congested roads here and there is always something to complain about. But all that does is get YOU mad...

I still don't know how you survived driving like that for 40 years....
Mad, no. not anymore.
Shocked, yes. That was one of the big dually plumbing trucks. I'm assuming the guy drives more in a month than me in a year...

All this is made worse by the universal fact that (and bless them for what they do and who they have to put up with on a daily basis) law enforcement never seems to be around when these things happen.

But their employers might. If I encounter such a truck with company name and a tag or other ID information, I let them know what boneheaded things their employees are doing.

I call it a courtesy call. I have the choice to call the cops or the company. I suggest it will be much less costly for them to address the bad habits of their drivers than pay off a claim when such behavior goes wrong.

If it's a one-off event, I don't call. We all have a bad day where we miss someone in our blind spot and then wake up and drive better.
When I see the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, cutting off multiple people, where it's pretty obvious this is the driving pattern of this person, I call.

It could be the rest of my family, friends or others I care about injured or worse by this sort of thing.

The reality is this has been going on a long time and will continue to go on until we being driven around by an anonymous Speedqueen.

Me too, during my working years, I would impress on junior staff who had any interest in cars beyond just going from point A to point B that the unwritten rule is rental cars should be dogged as heavily as conditions permit at all times during operation.

I liked my dad's perspective on yellow lights, he called them "pale green" as they're only missing the blue tint.
wink.gif

I too will call a company if one of their employees is driving way too aggressively though, flipping people off & honking from them is usually involved before I go this far. If I called the cops, first how are they going to find the vehicle, much less catch the driver in the act?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How about CTA buses splitting 2 lanes so you can't pass them?....
Grrr

yup, I got that. especially at 5pm rush hour.
Did you got the CTA bus starting on red, to jump from the right turning lane in front of everybody?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
But their employers might. If I encounter such a truck with company name and a tag or other ID information, I let them know what boneheaded things their employees are doing.

I call it a courtesy call. I have the choice to call the cops or the company. I suggest it will be much less costly for them to address the bad habits of their drivers than pay off a claim when such behavior goes wrong.

If it's a one-off event, I don't call. We all have a bad day where we miss someone in our blind spot and then wake up and drive better.
When I see the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, cutting off multiple people, where it's pretty obvious this is the driving pattern of this person, I call.

It could be the rest of my family, friends or others I care about injured or worse by this sort of thing.

**disregard my post***

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back