Teen Killed by Honda Odyssey Folding Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about this young man yesterday, but didn't know then that a folding seat in a car was responsible for his death.
Horrifying and quite sobering!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Same - I didn't think they had enough power in them to cause any sort of injury

The Honda recall of the 2011-2017 Odysseys for 2nd row folding seats was not related to this accident. This was an older 2002 model with a manually operated folding third row seat that folds flush with the cargo floor like Chrysler's "Stow & Go" design. The sixteen year old boy was of slight build and somehow closed the bench seat onto himself, ultimately resulting in asphyxiation. His cell phone was out of reach in the van, but he was able to dial 911 with voice activation. Unfortunately, he could not hear the questions that the dispatcher was asking him to aid in the search by the responding officer. A terrible tragedy indeed, but I don't see any culpability for Honda.

Read that last night … our Explorer had all the electrical folding 3rd row stuff … but even a roll of paper towels would be sensed and it would raise back up …

I think the far bigger tragedy here isn't the seat itself, or it's design. But rather the 911 operator supposedly disregarding the call as a prank. Had police been better informed, this kid would be alive right now.

"During his second call, an internal investigation found the 911 call-taker call did not follow proper protocol and failed to relay to police officers that Plush was in distress, Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot K. Issac revealed at a news conference Thursday. As a result, officers called off their search when they couldn’t initially find the person making the 911 call."

http://time.com/5238473/kyle-plush-suffocated-died-minivan-siri-911-call-transcript/

This almost happened to me years ago while just changing a turn signal flasher under the dash of my 94 Bonneville. My shirt caught the power seat switch mounted on the front of the seat, and it crushed me to the floor of the car with the switch jammed into my back. It was terrible, I couldn't breath, or move, and home all alone. Eventually I was able to move a little, and got the switch to move the other way. I was trapped for a half an hour, and thought I was going to die.

Originally Posted By: Traction
This almost happened to me years ago while just changing a turn signal flasher under the dash of my 94 Bonneville. My shirt caught the power seat switch mounted on the front of the seat, and it crushed me to the floor of the car with the switch jammed into my back. It was terrible, I couldn't breath, or move, and home all alone. Eventually I was able to move a little, and got the switch to move the other way. I was trapped for a half an hour, and thought I was going to die.

Yes, I find it amazing that the power seats can operated without the key in the ignition. Not good.

I heard about this last night but how it happened didn't register until I saw this diagram. Terrible tragedy and freak accident.

4B1DCEBF00000578-5612179-image-a-2_1523623760937.jpg

My 2001 Forester kills ALL power when the key is off. Brake lights don't come on, headlights won't turn on, nothing. I don't know why this didn't become mainstream. I mean, the brake lights are useless if the key is off, because you can't turn the steering wheel either!! The only thing that keeps power is the odometer readout.

Such a sad story.

Those rear bench seats are heavy - there's gas springs or a beefy coil spring and a system of cables that helps those deploy to the folded or seated position. No power involved.

Honda uses a similar setup on the Fit - but those fold forward to extend the cargo floor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
My 2001 Forester kills ALL power when the key is off. Brake lights don't come on, headlights won't turn on, nothing. I don't know why this didn't become mainstream. I mean, the brake lights are useless if the key is off, because you can't turn the steering wheel either!! The only thing that keeps power is the odometer readout.

Such a sad story.

I'm pretty sure a provision of FMVSS 135 dictates that there is power to the brake light circuit at all times. All the cars I've driven have power to the stop light switch at all times.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
The only thing that keeps power is the odometer readout.

I don't even think that is necessary. If it required power all the time, what would happen to the mileage if the battery went dead?

So sad.

Bad chain of events leading to a death and preventable too. Siri almost saved him. Maybe they can improve the service to somehow send the distress out with GSP coordinates with double confirmation to 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back