Anyone have a sports hernia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about 15 months ago I went to the doctor who said I had a hernia and after seeing a surgeon ended up concluding I did not have a hernia. After that i gave up and decided to cut out drinking soft drinks and stayed well hydrated along with buying shoe inserts. After doing this the discomfort all but went away in about 2 weeks. The question is how come I can go balls to The wall one day and feel pretty much normal, then the next day the worn out feeling returns and I feel like I have to sit down and take a 5 minute break every couple hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So about 15 months ago I went to the doctor who said I had a hernia and after seeing a surgeon ended up concluding I did not have a hernia. After that i gave up and decided to cut out drinking soft drinks and stayed well hydrated along with buying shoe inserts. After doing this the discomfort all but went away in about 2 weeks. The question is how come I can go balls to The wall one day and feel pretty much normal, then the next day the worn out feeling returns and I feel like I have to sit down and take a 5 minute break every couple hours.

Are you over 45 years old?

Have you discussed this with your doctor? Have you seen a cardiologist? Those are the first two things I'd consider. Primary care doctor, and if he thought a cardiologist was in order I'd be seeing one.

If you went balls to the wall one day and feel worn out the next, maybe you just over did it the balls to the walls day. And if you need to rest 5 minutes every couple of hours, I don't call that worn out.

I think everybody has a normal ebb and flow of energy...my favorite workouts are usually the ones where I really don't feel like doing it but forge ahead despite that.
If you feel so pooped that you might collapse, then see a doc.

Yeah I had a sports hernia basically for all of High School playing basketball volleyball soccer.
soccer especially made it feel horrible whereas basketball volleyball basically didn't cause it to flare up at all.

Tried everything, whole hip wraps, electro simulator therapy.
I really think it is just the repeated kicking in soccer that made it really hurt.

Last edited:
It's right at the belt line on the right side. If I strain just right it feels like my belt is tighter for maybe an hour or so afterwords. Feels like a slight pulling sensation. Not painful, just annoying. The right side does bulge a bit more than the left, and I asked the doc about it and he never felt a hernia.

So you have the same weird symptoms? Did it eventually go away? Sometimes mine goes away long enough to forget about it until I push or pull on something too hard.

It sounds more like a musculoskeletal issue to me but I’m not a doctor. Do non-steroidal medicines help? (Ibuprofen, Aleve)

Yeah. In the beginning they did. Not so much anymore. In the beginning it was fairly painful and they made a big difference, but now that it's just a very dull ache typically it doesn't do anything. I bet I took ibuprofen too long and became immune to it or something. I used to have to sit down because it hurt to stay standing, but that level of pain went away long ago.

What about hip related issues? Sciatica in older people produce pains that come and go from the back, hip, leg and foot. A lot of nerves go through the hip area and can cause pain in other areas.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
then the next day the worn out feeling returns and I feel like I have to sit down and take a 5 minute break every couple hours.

"Worn out feeling?"
In your groin? Or entire body?
Mine felt like a torn muscle in my groin.
I'm 32 and haven't had any issues since I basically stopped playing soccer years ago.

It basically feels like a pulled muscle. Worn out feeling may not be the correct term. It usually subsides after physical activity. Sometime it can last the rest of the day, but not usually.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
See a cardiologist. Your problem might be A=Fib. (google it)

What does a cardiologist have to do with the groin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back