Deferring Windows Updates on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture the scene. You have been working on your laptop, perhaps with not much battery life left, and have to be somewhere else. You go to shut down the machine, and it comes up with an apparently mandatory "making Windows even better" update.

Leaving aside the vexed question of whether, in Microsoft-Speak, AIDS would be considered an "even better" venereal disease than syphilis, or the other way around, what are you supposed to do?

You don't have an indefinate time to wait while it screws around at 100% STILL telling you not to turn the machine off.

You have to go, but no opt-out option is offered.

I put it on "sleep". I don't really like bagging it while its still running, but I may need it at my next destination.

I'd guess there is an opt-out but its hidden to stop people opting-out indefinately because they don't trust the update?

On Win10 I've configured my WiFi connection as a Metered Connection. It promises to only download the really necessary security updates. As opposed to those disguised as gravely necessary but really pushes stuff you don't need.

you can turn off auto update in the windows administrative. go there and open componant services. then fund auto update. you can set it to auto/ manual or disable

Config - Windows update/ recovery - and disable it. Later time you enable it. Click the windows start button (icon down left on the screen) find config on he list to start the procedure on the begining of this post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Sounds like this is one of those issues EASILY fixed with some Googling...

Fair criticism.

I suppose sub-consciously I wanted to gripe about it, plus if someone knew (havn't checked the above admin procedure yet but sounds plausible) it might actually be quicker than Googling.

After three days of constant fannying about, I finally managed to put the latest version of Windows 10 (Build 1709) on wifey's little laptop. The machine only has a 32 GB eMMC (a poor man's SSD) which was perfectly adequate when she bought it a couple of years ago with Windows 8.1 on it, but since Windows 10 reared it's bloated, fat, ugly head, it's looked way too small. The first upgrade from 8.1 to 10, despite it taking up more space, was hitch-free and I would have happily left it at that except for the fact that Microsoft played its 'No future security updates if you don't upgrade' card, which sort of crowbars you into attempting to squeeze a quart into a pint pot!

If this happens again in the future, I'm going straight for Linux Mint and bugger the consequences!

From past experiences, I know that updates usually begin to propagate on the days following the first or second Tuesday of the month. I go looking for them on those days and get them done and out of the way when it suits me rather than wait for Microsoft to inconvenience me. YMMV.

Which version of Windows do you have?

On Windows 10 Home Edition you can only completely disable the updates.

The Pro edition gives you a lot more options. On Windows 10 Pro Edition you can configure it so it will check for updates but update when you want to just like older version of Windows. You can also chose how many days you want to defer different updates, which update channel do you want to use (Home vs. Corporate).

I personally always defer the updates a few days, I had bad experience with Windows 7 updates when Microsoft released bad updates, so if you updated on day 0 on Tuesday your Windows Update got screwed up.

SonofJoe:

"If this happens again in the future, I'm going straight for Linux Mint and bugger the consequences"

Do it. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back