Going thicker to reduce consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Fusion, 3.0L V6, 177k miles. Daily driver with mixed city/hwy about 50/50. Currently running M1 AFE 0w-20. Car has always burned some oil, usually about a quart in 6k miles. I’ve been topping off every couple thousand miles and I think it’s started burning a bit more. Going to go thicker to see how it affects consumption. No smoke or excessive soot.

I’m deciding between M1 FS 0w-40 and M1 HM 10w-30.

Which would you choose and why?

Cold starting is a non issue, I live in N Florida.

Maxlife 5w30.
laugh.gif

Didnt you already use M1 hiMi 10w30?
You would say real good things about it in the past
I thought the consensus was 0w40 was a bit more prone to sheering out of grade
At 150k+ miles the himi seems like a good choice

Yea any good 10w30 high mileage oil should work. I try that first in cars that use a fair amount of oil and then go to 15w40 next if it uses a lot.

Had an 08 Escape with the 3.0L V6 for a while, at over 200K it used about a quart per 5K OCI and I was using various 5w-30 synthetics. I tried 5w-20 and it consumed about a quart every 1K miles which is why I switched to 5w-30.

I'd start out with an HDEO like Delvac or Delo ... 15W-40 ought to be better at residual film (cool start) and better at op temp. See how it goes ... If better you are done. If not, you can move to say Napa Synthetic 15W-50 that is on sale right now
smile.gif

try a non-m1 product. Why stick with M1 when you're not happy with the results.

Last edited:
Shorten up your OCI and try a different brand oil. Changing chemistries a couple OCI in a row can help clean things up and free ring lands. Sounds like a perfect chance to use some PYB and a can of Kreen for a 1500mi OCI, then try Maxlife or PPHM for a regular OCI.

Maybe a 5w-30 or 10w-30.
I owned a 01 Mercury Sable with the 3.0.
Owners manual stated 5w-30, but Ford TSB came out recommending 5W-20.
I ran 10W-30 until I switched to semi-synthic and then ran 5W-30. I ran 200k on that motor. Still running after I sold the car.

What's the maintenance history? If you've used quality oils and done appropriate maintenance, then I'm not sure that changing viscosity will do much.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
try Valvoline Maxlife 20w50 and see if that helps

Yep, I needed to go way up to apropiately reduce oil consumption in a Ford Vulcan 3.0 V6. Then I did a hyperflush and problem solved ...

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
try Valvoline Maxlife 20w50 and see if that helps

Yep, I needed to go way up to apropiately reduce oil consumption in a Ford Vulcan 3.0 V6. Then I did a hyperflush and problem solved ...

What’s a hyperflush?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
M1 10W30 HM

1) HM
2) Lower viscosity spread, lower NOACK

+ 1

This should work..

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Lower viscosity spread, lower NOACK

A lower viscosity spread doesn't always mean a lower NOACK. Look at the NOACK numbers of all the oils compared in the link below. Lots of instances where oils with large spreads have lower NOACK than some oils with small spreads. When shopping for a low NOACK oil, the actual spec on each specific oil is the best way to compare.

https://pqiablog.com/2016-motor-oil-samples-side-by-side-via-viscosity-grade/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back