Tried WD40 on a paper air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a YouTube video last Fall, regarding spraying the intake air side of an automotive dry air filter with WD40 to increase the filter's efficiency.

I tried it, and, after a few weeks, got an OBD II P0101 code. Cleared the code several times, but it always came back within minutes of driving. One possible cause is contamination of the MAF sensor. I ran half a spray can through yesterday, and then cleared the code. So far so good.

I don't think I'll try this again.
blush.gif

Has anyone else tried this, and did you have a similar experience?

I personally would not do it. Probably that's why I have never installed a K&N air filter.

Except on motorcycles with carbs and no ECU's.

I have read MAF can be extremely sensitive to contaminants.

Hopefully it won't come back again.

WD-40 isn't a lubricant. Of all the things to try on a paper filter, WD-40 would be at the bottom of my list. Actually, the first 100 things on my list to add to a paper filter are all, 'nothing at all'.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I personally would not do it. Probably that's why I have never installed a K&N air filter.

Nothing about wd40 or paper filter resembles K&N red tacky oil or it's cotton gauze filter methodology. Weather you're a fan of them or not.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

He wasn't using it as a lubricant, so its lubricant status isn't really relevant.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Saw a YouTube video last Fall, regarding spraying the intake air side of an automotive dry air filter with WD40 to increase the filter's efficiency.

crazy2.gif

There are fram paper filters that come oiled. I'm guessing the oil is more tacky... less solvents.

Silicone in the WD will destroy your primary oxygen sensor and make the mixture way off stoich - but set no MIL - that is until you burn the cat down.

Enjoy This!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

He wasn't using it as a lubricant, so its lubricant status isn't really relevant.

I’m not sure he knew what he was using it for.

If you had to guess, how would you correct my statement? He was trying to remove water from the filter; light penetration; a bit of solvency-based cleaning?

WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

If you had to guess, how would you correct my statement? He was trying to remove water from the filter; light penetration; a bit of solvency-based cleaning?

Would have to see the video that prompted him to do it, but if I had to guess, I'd say he probably thought he was using it in the same way as oil is used on K&N filters. I don't know how that is usually described.

Tackifier? Trapping Agent? Stickyfier? They probably just call it "filter oil"

As to whether it would work in that role on a standard paper filter, dunno, but (contamination issues aside, which I wouldn't have to worry about much on my 1986 car) I don't see why not. Most of it is probably light solvent so that'll be ingested and cease to be effective quite quickly. The residue's effectiveness will depend on what it is. If its a wax it won't do much, but if its a stickier silicone oil it might be effective.

Do you gain anything? Dunno, maybe, unless the filter is already performing at 100% for all particle sizes, which is essentially impossible.

Do you lose anything? Dunno

I'd guess that optimally you'd want something heavier, and if you use a lot you'll make the filter too restrictive.

Last edited:
WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

Would have to see the video that prompted him to do it, but if I had to guess, I'd say he probably thought he was using it in the same way as oil is used on K&N filters. I don't know how that is usually described.

Tackifier? Trapping Agent? Stickyfier? They probably just call it "filter oil"

As to whether it would work in that role on a standard paper filter, dunno, but (contamination issues aside, which I wouldn't have to worry about much on my 1986 car) I don't see why not. Most of it is probably light solvent so that'll be ingested and cease to be effective quite quickly. The residue's effectiveness will depend on what it is. If its a wax it won't do much, but if its a stickier silicone oil it might be effective.

Do you gain anything? Dunno, maybe, unless the filter is already performing at 100% for all particle sizes, which is essentially impossible.

Do you lose anything? Dunno

I'd guess that optimally you'd want something heavier, and if you use a lot you'll make the filter too restrictive.

Great response. Points taken.

WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

He said to try to increase the filters efficiency. He was trying to use the WD-40 like a filter oil that dirt and dust would stick to.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Nothing about wd40 or paper filter resembles K&N red tacky oil or it's cotton gauze filter methodology. Weather you're a fan of them or not.

You mean apart from them being both propietary oil mixes of unknown composition, applied to proprietary cellulose matrix filter media?

That's a fairly elastic definition of "nothing" you've got there.

Dry paper filters don't have the property to hold oil it'll only saturate the filter.

WD-40 is meant to protect metal, lubricate and drive out moisture.

KN are just terrible for modern cars and sensors however yes the gauze media holds that tacky goo somewhat not 100% because a fouled sensor proves that.

Filters that come pre-treated are blended fibers or synthetic media that is impregnated with the oil. Not saturated.

Not smart to experiment with a can of WD40 could have been a costly lesson.

I believe WD40 is a kerosense base no silicone. The brand WD40 does have a silicone spray 2 different products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back