Anyone use a ball peen on their wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says. Anyone else do it for some impact action?

An old neighbor who was like my grandfather taught me this years ago. I realize it's not the best practice as a few of my heavily used wrenches (15mm, 16mm and 18mm) are starting to mushroom, but you have to do what you have to do at times.

I am tempted to get a cheap HF set for this purpose alone since my old Craftsmans are a bit sentimental.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not use an impact?

Or a breaker bar and a real socket.

Sometimes and impact doesn't fit.

And sometimes a breaker bar will snap a bolt where a sharp rap on a wrench won't.

I have a 2lb brass hammer that does the job without ruining my wrenches or bouncing.

I just used a rubber hammer (changing shocks) BC my son has my composite hammer …

I've never had to do anything crazy like that. I can always find the right tool for the job, I guess. I've had my tools for 20+ years and haven't broken anything in that time. And no, they don't just sit there, I use them constantly. It really boggles my mind when I see people talking about breaking lots of tools, losing tools, etc.

No, I use a cheater pipe if needed. I'm really liking the Snap-on High Performance wrenches.....Especially the Zero Offset standard handle which are quite a bit longer than a standard length combination wrench.

16mm & 18mm on the same wrench.....HERE

13mm & 15mm on the same wrench.....HERE

The Yanks call them hammer wrenches … normally good to tie some sash cord on them for pre tension and keep your hand off of the short wrench …

Tend to find them in larger sizes …

Yeah, too big for cars and the like typically.

I check out the chinesium Chrome Moly Vanadium spanner sets, and if I find some that are overly proportioned in the head end use them.

I've always just done that thing where you hook two wrenches against each other to make a longer wrench. Works every time.
No way I'm hitting a chrome Snap On flank drive wrench with a ball peen hammer. I don't know what they cost now but back when I bought mine, a set 3/8 to 1" was 414.10. That number has been ringing in my head since I bought them about thirty years ago.

I did have to hit my large channellock adjustable wrench with a peen hammer in order to loosen the fan clutch bolt on my avalanche. The belt would not hold it tight enough for a slow pull with the wrench.

Had to do several short quick taps with to get it loose.

Last edited:
No.

I use a wrench on a wrench method, and only with craftsman, not my snap on's!

If you need a picture of wrench on wrench just ask, it works really well.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
LOL and people wonder why people won't lend out their tools.

I am not the kind that would abuse someone's property if that is what you're insinuating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back