Quieting Hemi Tick with Redline Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing, if your Hemi powered car/truck is still under warranty, I recommend taking it to the dealer. Hopefully they will fix it for you but if they don't, at the very least it will be documented. If they essentially blow you off like they did to
me, continue reading.

For a lot if not most people, the 5.7 Hemi is a nice smooth running engine with any oil thats put in it. For others the 5.7 Hemi has a pretty loud tick either on startup or after its completely warmed up. Not to be confused with a broken exhaust manifold bolt(s),
this is a metal on metal tick that comes from the internals of the engine, most likely from the lifters although thats never
been proven 100%.

My 2013 Ram 1500 developed a loud tick at a fully wamrmed up idle around 2500 miles when I drained out the PYB 5w20 that was in
it and put in PP 5w20. The motor sounded absolutely horrible, you literally could hear all the metal componants hitting against
each other. Now I believe PP is a fantastic oil, it just didn't agree with my Hemi. Because it got was such a drastic change
right after an oil change, over the next few years I tried many different oils including PYB 5w20, PUP 5w20, Amsoil OE 5w20,
Amsoil SS 5w20 and 5w30, Redline 5w20/5w30/0w30, Mopar 5w20 from the dealer which is either PYB or PG. The only two oils that
made a difference in how it sounded were PYB 5w20 which minorly quieted it up. For a complete list of the oil changes I did up
until the summer of 2017 check this post out:
Oils used and Mileage

After taking my truck to the dealer 3 times and 3 times being told it was "normal Hemi noise" I had given up. It was
either live with it ticking like it was going to grenade or find my own answers. After spending many hours researching different oils, I
figured I'd give Redline oil a shot because there were claims that it quiets Hemi's as well as many different engines. I figured
there was nothing to lose except some money.

First I tried Redline 5w20. It helped but the tick was still there. Then I tried Redline 0w30 because at the time I was nervous about
running a 30 weight oil in an engine that was spec-ed by the manufacturer for 5w20. It was also winter so I went with a 0w. 5w20 vs 5w30 in a 5.7 Hemi is a whole other discussion, long story short, you can run a Xw30 oil in a 5.7 Hemi with absolutely no MDS problems and no codes thrown. This has been proven many times. Anyways Redline 0w30 made it quieter than Redline 5w20, but the ticking was still there to a point at hot idle.

Then I tried Redline 5w30. On paper it looks fantastic compared to their 0w30, mainly a high HTHS of 3.7 for a 30wt oil. Each time I ran a Redline oil I gave it a good 500+ miles for the high moly in Redline oil to plate to all high contact surfaces in the engine. Here's a
video documenting how quiet my truck is on Redline 5w30. Pay particular attention from 39 seconds to 1:03.

https://youtu.be/89_9ZDBdmss

After confirming an oil alone can quiet my Hemi, I decided to try the new formula Amsoil SS 5w30 since it now has 225+ ppm of
moly. It can be had cheaper than Redline so if it worked like Redline I can save some money. 500 miles into new formula SS 5w30,
it started developing the hot idle tick again shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/CjMDKz1yZLI

This is what it sounded like when I put PP 5w20 in it, except with PP it was easily twice as loud. If I went through a drive
thru I would have to shut the truck off to be able to hear anything. It was that bad. I ended up draining out the SS 5w30 and
put Redline 5w30 back in. I only have about 100 miles on that oil so its still a little loud but not as loud as it was on SS
5w30.

https://youtu.be/L-eiCtFaYLo

Let me reiterate, I believe both PP and SS are great oils. Many people run them in 5.7s with great results. I currently run SS
0w20 in my wifes 2017 Jeep GC 3.6 and it runs very smooth and quiet.

A couple other oils that may quiet a Hemi are Schaefers and Motul. Both have high moly but keep in mind simply having an oil
with high moly such as new formula SS doesn't necessarily mean its going to quiet a Hemi. I believe PAO/Esters and a high HTHS
are also required. Maybe even the higher zinc in Redline has something to do with it.

So if you have a ticking Hemi give Redline 5w30 a shot. If you're worried about running a 5w30 in your 5.7, try Redline 5w20.
Redline 5w20 has worked for some, but didn't quiet mine up as much as Redline 5w30.

When I get 500+ miles on my current Redline 5w30 fill I will take another video.

Hope this helps someone out there quiet their noisy Hemi.

Test out the HTHS and zinc theory with Rotella 5w30? Maybe that'll help narrow the choices down some more?

I’ve heard people say redline time and time again to quiet the Hemi. My 2014 Ram has been on a steady diet of PUP for the past 20k miles, now at 41k miles. I have no tick at all, at least for now. I’ll keep redline in mind if I get that tick.

Originally Posted By: Brett776
I’ve heard people say redline time and time again to quiet the Hemi. My 2014 Ram has been on a steady diet of PUP for the past 20k miles, now at 41k miles. I have no tick at all, at least for now. I’ll keep redline in mind if I get that tick.

But just think you could have spent almost twice as much for the Redline and still had no Hemi Tick. Then think how lucky you'd be!

Yep I'm aware of that, I did link to it afterall lol. However since I now have some videos documenting, I figured it was new thread worthy.

Originally Posted By: CC1981
Yep I'm aware of that, I did link to it afterall lol. However since I now have some videos documenting, I figured it was new thread worthy.

Ahhh, OK, I didn't click that link because of the name on it, I assumed it wasn't the same thread (title is quite different).

I'd argue that the videos might have been more helpful in the other thread, given its length and depth of delving into this topic, but I do understand why you created this new one.

Thanks, that was well explained and will help a lot. Anyone who has the same problem should follow your instructions and report back.
smile.gif

Interesting.

My father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L. It just passed 110k miles and is pretty quiet. I run Pennzoil Platinum, but I've been running 5w30 since around 30,000 miles or so.

My 300C has a tick but it doesn't sound like that. Just a tiny tick just a tad louder than the injectors, not like you're hitting the block with a pall peen hammer.

I thought they got all that figure out with the redesign.

Try adding a can of BG MOA and you'll really quiet the hemi tick. Know so many people who run Royal purple HPS 5w30 and love it because it really quiets the tick down as well..

My hemi use to tick bad. First few years I used Mobil 1 in both 5w20 and 5w30 but it would tick bad on idle. Current oil I'm running is redline 5w20 and it made a huge difference but it still has a slight tick. I just found a local dealer who got me 5w30 schaeffers for 6 dollars a quart so I'll be trying that here in a few weeks. I figured it's worth a try as I paid around 11 dollars a quart for the redline.

Try oils like Castrol 0W30 ACEA A3/b3 B4, or Castrol 5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4. Especially 0W30 is known as smooth oil, it is "heavy" W30 oil made for Euro cars with HTHS of 3.5cp.
Considering that you already used Redline with HTHS 3.7, I would also check Castrol 0W40 (same base as 0W30) in Walmart for $27 for 5qt. It has HTHS also 3.7cp.

I'm betting half the problem is the 20W "water" for oil being suggested for these trucks. A 5.7 Hemi, especially if its worked should not be running that pathetic Honda Civc oil!

I'd bet just about any 5W40 or 10W30 oil would quiet that motor down, its viscosity, shear and metal to metal contact thats causing your issue, not an additive!

Theres a place for "water oils" and its not in a truck that weighs 6000lbs and works!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm betting half the problem is the 20W "water" for oil being suggested for these trucks. A 5.7 Hemi, especially if its worked should not be running that pathetic Honda Civc oil!

I'd bet just about any 5W40 or 10W30 oil would quiet that motor down

You'd lose that bet as I have seen many a human being try that and didn't work.

I'd be curious to know how well M1 5W30 ESP (HTHS=3.58) would work, but that isn't really much less expensive than Redline.
Maybe the Pennzoil Euro 5W30 L that some people can find at WM? That is supposed to be a high HTHS 5W30.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

I'd bet just about any 5W40 or 10W30 oil would quiet that motor down

You'd lose that bet as I have seen many a human being try that and didn't work.

Your opinion is futile... you think Royal Purple is good oil!
grin.gif
grin.gif

My engine is quiet on QSUD 10w30 NON Dexos 5w30.

I don't have a HEMI but I do have solid tappets.

I wouldn't run a PAO to quiet an engine.

IMO, Less VM + a good DP = less noise.

Curious what this tick is - are rockers adjustable?

Are the tappets fast bleed down? Does the engine have a hydraulic cam phaser? That would be my #1 culprit.

Also with an engine wearing in, they can be notoriously noisy. Most have mine have been so for 15 k miles. ove broken in over 60 in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back