Replaced fuel level sensor on 2002 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been without a accurate fuel gauge for quite a while. I was afraid to fix it because I thought it would mean a new pump and the hassle of dropping the tank.

To my surprise GM made a fuel pump access port in the trunk and the sensor can be bought alone.

The repair wasn't hard but the stupid rubber gasket was too thick to allow the fuel pump to go down far enough to twist the locking ring back down. We wasted a lot of time messing around and ended up putting the old one back on. Problem solved and gas gauge works!

Last edited:
I love it when a plan comes together.

A suggestion... to check the accuracy of the new sender, run it down reasonably low and fill it up. Check how much gas it takes and compare it to the capacity of the tank listed in the owner's manual. This will give you an idea of how much gas you have left. Sometimes the new sender unit tells a different story.

Last edited:
Just for future info when this happens run 2 bottles of techron total cleaner in a full tank of fuel, if it begins working repeat on the next full tank then change the oil.
GM had a TSB on this issue, it worked on other makes also.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just for future info when this happens run 2 bottles of techron total cleaner in a full tank of fuel, if it begins working repeat on the next full tank then change the oil.
GM had a TSB on this issue, it worked on other makes also.

Very interesting.

My Blazer's fuel gauge doesn't work. Just been getting gas every 280 miles.

Certainly worth a try if mine is included. It seems to briefly work right after getting gas, but that's about it.

Many cars up to about 2006 had problems, its ethanol corrosion of the rheostat, if it still works but is not accurate or drops out after a time the Techron may well fix it. Its worth a shot before digging in to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back