A hard problem to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a special computer I set up years ago specifically to deal with these scammers.

I installed Linux Mint, LXDE I think, and tweaked the heck out of the GUI, wallpaper, icons, etc.. to make it look as much like Windows 7 as I could.

Screenshot:

When one of these scammers calls, I load up this computer, and then proceed to jerk them around for as long as I possibly can, the entire time acting as computer illiterate as I possibly can. I can usually stretch 30-45 minutes out of them, sometimes even longer. The whole time, I've got Wireshark up on another computer so I can watch their traffic.

Nice
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I have a special computer I set up years ago specifically to deal with these scammers.

I installed Linux Mint, LXDE I think, and tweaked the heck out of the GUI, wallpaper, icons, etc.. to make it look as much like Windows 7 as I could.

... The whole time, I've got Wireshark up on another computer so I can watch their traffic.

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The quickest way to get rid of them is "habla Espanol?" But alas i like to waste their time if i am not busy.

When I want to be entertained as such I answer the phone in Arabic and before I can give my first "God is Great"... they're gone.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
It must be serious- they call every day trying to help me.

I'd play games with them and see how long it took THEM to hang up.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Trav
Edit: For a real good time try to sell them roofing shingles.

OH, Come ON...
We are an automotive site:

Blinker-Fluid

Windshield-atomizer

No no it has to be something I can tell them I need their address so I can send them a sample, roofing , siding, etc.
Some of them get so worked up on the phone its hilarious.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Do you all answer the phone if you don't recognize the number? Not really a criticism, just a question. I never would. If its not important enough to leave a message, I don't need to talk to them.

If they call and I don't know them, I don't pick up the phone. If they don't leave a message, I google the number. If its someone I want to do business with, that's fine. Usually google tells me its a telemarketer or scam, so I immediately block the number.

Amazingly, my annoying scam calls are down to a minimum now, perhaps once a month or less now.

I use to jerk them around to see how much of their time I could burn. * I win * But I got weary of that.

Recently I just advise them to get a real job, one their mother would be proud of. The last guy really cursed me out. * I win *

I really respect SirTanon's shtick, THAT IS SLICK.

When they ask how I am doing, I always say my wife just passed away today, but I always have time for them. After about 2 minutes I start "sobbing" and blubbering in the phone, they hang up.

When Darryl from the microsponge office Melbourne rings, I ask him what the weather is down there...It's usually warm and sunny, even at 9:30PM.

On hearing those words, the kids usually pull up a chair, as they know that they are going to enjoy however long I can drag it out.

Funny how they know everything about my computer...but can't tell me the windows activation code that applies to the machine.

I think the next time they call me I'm going to ask if they can log in remotely. Maybe pass along the IP address of an FBI, CIA or similar website.

Or 127.0.0.1

Last time they called, I didn't have time to deal with Windows Technical Support calling from what sounded like a boiler room in Bangalore or similar.

I feel sad for the folks who have to make their living this way. But not sad enough to fall for their scam.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
One of those guys called me and told me to log into my computer to fix a virus, I said OK and put the phone down.
10 minutes later, I came back and said I forgot my password. He told me to try to remember it, I said OK but it might take a while because I was very old and put the phone down.
Came back 10 minutes later and said I logged in but got distracted because I was watching (naughty videos).
He started laughing and asked me what I like to watch and I told him he was being nosey but I like (male only) (naughty videos) if he had to know, but asked him not to tell my wife.
He was still laughing and I told him that things were looking good because the drink coaster came out of the computer...he asked what I meant and I said the little shelf to put a drink out came out of the front, so now I had a place for my beer.
This went on for a while until a manager cut in, yelled at the guy, and the call ended.

I made a little hobby out of such hijinx when I had time, haven't had a call like that in years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back