Degreaser/APC for door jambs & safe on paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm looking for a really strong de-greaser or all purpose cleaner for door jambs (to clean any paint you see, once you open a car door) I am looking for a product that is safe on paint but that will remove grease from the door jamb or loosen it up well. I would prefer commercial grade or higher quality products. Something that works great. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: JC1
Why not try dawn dish soap first.

Was hoping to find a spray on product that I could maybe just rinse off with a pressure washer... for areas like door hinges etc.. but yeah, its not a bad idea.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Was hoping to find a spray on product that I could maybe just rinse off with a pressure washer... for areas like door hinges etc.. but yeah, its not a bad idea.

Its your car, but i would hesitate to use a pressure washer on door jambs and hinges. You will get high pressure water where it was not designed to go. Remember, wiring goes through the doors if you have locks and power windows.

Simple green, a small brush and the garden hose is what i would use.

Don't see how you could avoid spraying the inside of your car using a pressure washer. That's why they call it a pressure washer.

I'd use kerosene and an old toothbrush/rags, if soap and water don't work.

Cleaning naptha or petrol if its really stubborn and I really needed it off.

Last edited:

Put a fair amount of Dawn and some hot water in a spray bottle. Home Depot has some nice spray bottles for a few bucks each. Or get the sprayer below which sprays on the trigger release as well.

https://www.autogeek.net/kwazar-mercury-spray-bottle-yellow.html

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Put a fair amount of Dawn and some hot water in a spray bottle. Home Depot has some nice spray bottles for a few bucks each. Or get the sprayer below which sprays on the trigger release as well.

https://www.autogeek.net/kwazar-mercury-spray-bottle-yellow.html

Yep … Dawn and a $2 paint brush …

There's a couple different ones I'll use for different occasions.

Light dirt and grease: Zep All Purpose
Medium Duty: Zep Purple Degreaser
Heavy Duty: Zep Fast 505

I use the All Purpose and Purple at 50/50 and the 505 at 4:1 for door jambs. Never had a problem with using it on paint as long as you wipe it off in a timely manner. There are other products available online, but I wanted to show options that your average person can pick up locally. Those 3 are what I use for the most part anyways.

I guess I'd ask why is a strong cleaner or degreaser needed at all?

Door jambs get real dirty. Definitely. And they're a real pain to clean. But that's due to access, not the type of dirt, IME.

Brushes with car wash soap are good, but brushes clunk into stuff and aren't always the best either. So Ive generally moved to a wipedown with a soapy microfiber. Doesn't carry soap and carry away dirt as well as a sponge, but also doesn't carry in as much water that will wring out and make a mess in that area.

Given the cost of MF, rather than exposing hard to clean and harder to rinse paintwork with harsh chemicals, why not try regular car wash soap and a high surface area MF?

My first choice is P21S Total Auto Wash which is an outstanding product, albeit pricey.

Short of that, Dawn dish soap is a good degreaser and you probably already have some...

In a spray bottle make a heavy dilution, 33% Dawn 66% water, spray the jambs and let sit for a minute, rinse with a high-pressure stream from a regular garden hose. If you keep it aimed strictly in the jambs, minimal splash/water will get in the car (you'll be surprised). Jambs tend not to get overly greasy so try the preceding method first as you may get them as clean as you want without needing agitation (brushing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back