2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reporting that I sold 1of my 4 runners and bought a taco. The reason is that I will be using the vehicle for consultant wrk with reimbursable mileage.
I looked at the ford half tons with eco boost engines and Tundras.
Initial quality of the fords seemed spotty. Some of the assembly was not complete of interior panels and the dealer was having to fix things in make ready. they did drive well. What I really didn’t like was the predicted rate of depriciation rate they would take as I would take putting them to work. The predicted maintenance was also higher. (Kbb)
The tundra is huge! And the gas mileage was unacceptable and would cut into my Margin so it was out.

My need was a 4wheel drive to access some new acreage, roads are mogul to dirt and sand. Initially looking at 3k miles a month. The taco has lower depriciation with miles, lower cost of maintenance and the estimated gas mileage and road safety features sold me.
Lane departure, blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control are nice when you are logging a lot of miles on country roads and fatigue management becomes paramount.

Initial 50 mile trip home from the dealer netted a computer reported 24.5 mpg. Even if that’s 10%off it’s good.
The 2gr-fks engine has finally won me over. I was initially resistant to this direct and port injected modified dual Otto/Atkinson cycle engine, but it is basically a gr engine just like the 2gr fe and the 1gr fe with some additions.There are a lot of complaints about premature upshifts with this vehicle, the trick is to stay on the throttle. The engine likes to rev, and people used to the 1gr will instinctively let up on the throttle as the refs climb and this promotes an instant upshift. If you steadily tip into the throttle as you accelerate it does not do that. Maybe Toyota updated the ecu a bit but it drives better than the 2017 I test drove last year.

As far as build quality, it is A partially open Channel ladder frame instead of the boxed frame on my beefier 4 runner. However for the environment I will be using it, this is a mileage burner and comfort, economy and capability ruled my decision.
Getting the off-road vs the Pro was a value decision. It will get me through anything I should encounter while working.

I will report how it holds up to use.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new Tacoma. I’m sure you will get many years of use out of it. On the upshift topic, I find the same situation on the Mazda. A firm throttle helps versus a featherfoot style yet the mpg hasn’t suffered. Your transmission will learn your style and adapt to it.

Do you plan on doing any oil analysis on this truck? Usually Toyota uoa’s are pretty boring, even if breaking in.

Love the color. It sounds like maybe they improved the TCU or ECU to improve drive-ability. The 2016 I had drove really poorly... But there were supposedly TSBs for the trans tuning.

That extra fuel economy will certainly help driving 3k miles a month. So will having a nicely optioned vehicle to sit in for long periods of time. Do you have the tools to get at the oil filter or will it be dealer serviced?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Congratulations on the new Tacoma. I’m sure you will get many years of use out of it. On the upshift topic, I find the same situation on the Mazda. A firm throttle helps versus a featherfoot style yet the mpg hasn’t suffered. Your transmission will learn your style and adapt to it.

Do you plan on doing any oil analysis on this truck? Usually Toyota uoa’s are pretty boring, even if breaking in.

Thank you! Eventually as an in warranty quality and fit for purpose of maintenance check. The duty will have a lot of road miles, but also a lot of dirty dusty roads and severe conditions running 4wd to access locations. I will run the severe duty maintenance cycle and analyze after the 2nd or third Oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Love the color. It sounds like maybe they improved the TCU or ECU to improve drive-ability. The 2016 I had drove really poorly... But there were supposedly TSBs for the trans tuning.

That extra fuel economy will certainly help driving 3k miles a month. So will having a nicely optioned vehicle to sit in for long periods of time. Do you have the tools to get at the oil filter or will it be dealer serviced?

I will take advantage of the provided maintenance plan but do drain and refills myself at 5k miles . I have an oil filter wrench for the gr engines in my toolbox.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on the awesome truck. I have driven Toyotas since 1984 and had good luck with them. I have one concern, Road Salt. If you live in a road salt area have the underside sprayed with Fluid Film or something similar each fall. I bought the Kellesport spray gun for Fluid Film and it works fantastic.

Surely Toyota’s frame supplier has been threatened up one side and down the other if the new truck frames aren’t properly coated/protected!

I know the 16 and 17 has shifting issues with the trans. Some folks use a pedal commander to resolve the issue. Have my 15 for almost two years and love the truck.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

As far as build quality, it is A partially open Channel ladder frame instead of the boxed frame on my beefier 4 runner.

Better access for treatment, though it could create more rot-traps.

That sounds like a feature that would be worth keeping an eye on.

Some people have difficulty focusing.. you take your Toyota monies to a Toyota dealer for a nice car/truck that's engineered correctly...good work!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Nice truck!

Great choice. I’m certain it will serve you well.
Nice truck!

Nice truck!

Thanks! I plan on attempting to wear this one out.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Toyotas are nice.
Toyotas are nice.
Toyotas are nice.

Thanks. I think I this is my 4th taco and 9th 4x4toyota lol.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What oil filter setup does this engine have?

It’s not on top like the 1GR-FE?

This is the cartridge filter like the later model 1gr fe. With the dual vvt-I a pain To change but you only need to change the filter once a year or 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Congrats on the awesome truck. I have driven Toyotas since 1984 and had good luck with them. I have one concern, Road Salt. If you live in a road salt area have the underside sprayed with Fluid Film or something similar each fall. I bought the Kellesport spray gun for Fluid Film and it works fantastic.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Surely Toyota’s frame supplier has been threatened up one side and down the other if the new truck frames aren’t properly coated/protected!

I have crawled around, it has a nice coating on it and the lighter weight I felt in the road performance. but more importantly this truck will be used in the absence of road salt.
Colorado, New Mexico and Texas tend to use gravel. So windshields get beat up but the frames dont corrode. And the air tears tend to be very dry. Eventually it may see some coastal duty, but it will be easy to coat the inside of the channel again with a thicker material if I feel the need. I used to run water into the boxed frame of my 2002taco after running the deep Sand of padre island and it was a,axing how much sand and mud would wash vent holes were in a bad position and allowed the tires to kick debris into the frame. So I would basically purge it with water after salty and sandy use.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I know the 16 and 17 has shifting issues with the trans. Some folks use a pedal commander to resolve the issue. Have my 15 for almost two years and love the truck.

No problems, I think Toyota has addressed this see my above post about staying on the throttle until you hit the desired speed. It feels like a race car compared to my trd Pro 4Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back