Standard iPhone Charging Cable Support 2.4A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
How are you measuring the amp draw when charging?

I have this issue with my android and running the Torque app in my car. I can plug in a 1A charger but it slowly still drains the battery.

I suspect the cable and have ordered a 3A rated one.

Unless you have a really bad or damaged cable, the problem wouldn't be the cable. It would be the amount of current that the power supply adapter can provide.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am seeing higher current values on my phone in Ampere app when my USB tester is not inline. But I do not have the same tester as you.

Probably because the USB Tester is taking some of the available current to power itself, so the phone gets a little less. The power supply can only supply whatever it is rated for.

I am seeing about 0.5A less. I can't imagine a little USB tester consuming this much.

I wouldn't trust the tester all that much. That would be about 2W. Without seeing schematics of the test I have no idea how they are measuring current? Probably creating a voltage across a resistor and then measuring the voltage with an A/D converter.

So, it sounds like, although an iPhone 6S won’t support “fast charge”, it WILL charge faster with a high-current Charger.

Wonder if anybody’s done any studies on how much battery life would be reduced by using, for example, the charger that is supplied with the iPad.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
So, it sounds like, although an iPhone 6S won’t support “fast charge”, it WILL charge faster with a high-current Charger.

Wonder if anybody’s done any studies on how much battery life would be reduced by using, for example, the charger that is supplied with the iPad.

Yes. Not sure exactly how much it reduces battery life, but I bet it isn't that much. Like someone else said, your time is worth something if you need it charged.

I've been charging my iPhone6 for 3 1/2 years on a fast charger (only takes 1.5A from a 2.4A charger) and the battery is still at 95%. It seems that the charging circuits are designed to protect the battery.

Originally Posted By: pkunk

I've been charging my iPhone6 for 3 1/2 years on a fast charger (only takes 1.5A from a 2.4A charger) and the battery is still at 95%. It seems that the charging circuits are designed to protect the battery.

Hmm. Mine’s only a year old and it’s at 92%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back