Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2008 Honda with 145k that is consuming oil. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic, redline, royal purple, valvoline synthetic, valvoline high mileage synthetic etc. All oils seem to be consumed about the same. Mostly used 5w-20, 0w-20, even tried 5w-30. Would consume about 1qt per oil change. I thought I might try some Valvoline Synblend high mileage 10w-30 but it seems to be consumed even faster about half a qt after just 1000 miles. this seems very excessive. Any advice or recommendations? I may just switch back to 5w-20 valvoline synthetic or synblend high mileage as it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore. Thanks

You could need a PCV valve, or stem seals, or a piston soak because rings are sticking, all three, or there's engine wear. Lets not forget a leak, although you'd probably see it. I'd start with the easiest first and work my way up from there. FTR Honda would consider your consumption normal for the miles on the vehicle.

Last edited:
I follow the maintenance minder. Probably ever 5-8k. I check my oil often however, and top off as necessary.

Thanks for the reply demarpaint, I have already replaced PCV, ran seafoam through the engine brake booster line, and there is no leak. How do I go about doing a piston soak and stem seals? Can this be done during a valve adjustment by the shop? How much should I expect to pay for this? I have a good Honda certified mechanic I can use. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
I follow the maintenance minder. Probably ever 5-8k. I check my oil often however, and top off as necessary.

Good thing you keep it topped off, that is the real killer with the Honda V6. May want to try shortening the OCI and see if that helps.

Try a stout conventional Xw30 like Formula Shell at Home Depot on sale for $9.88 till 4/15. Five qt. jug also. Replace pcv valve with an oem unit. Usually the spring breaks around the 60k mark.

Does this thing have vcm? If so disable it with a vcm muzzler. <-------- Please google it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Try a stout conventional Xw30 like Formula Shell at Home Depot on sale for $9.88 till 4/15. Five qt. jug also. Replace pcv valve with an oem unit. Usually the spring breaks around the 60k mark.

Does this thing have vcm? If so disable it with a vcm muzzler. div>

Yeah, pcv is replaced, not with oem unit however. It does have VCM but I disabled it a long while back. Did not change oil consumption however. Also, most of my mileage is highway which seems to speed up the oil consumption rate.

Quote:
I may just switch back to 5w-20 valvoline synthetic or synblend high mileage as it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.

That's what I would do. If it burns oil just use whatever.

Maybe I would run HM for a few oil changes and see if running it over a period of time helps.

Last edited:
was noticing the same with my 2010 honda CR-v 127,000 miles on it. when using Mobil 1 @7,500 oil changes. Switch over to Quaker State 0w-20 full syn and does not consume much at all. Not sure why but noticed less consumption and have used it on my last 5 oil changes

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Check the compression and get a leak down test done. That will tell you how your rings and vavle guides are.

ROD

Best answer here.

Our 08 CRV is in the same boat. About a half a qrt every 4K miles. Not bad by any means. I may try a 30W next time or add motor oil saver.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Our 08 CRV is in the same boat. About a half a qrt every 4K miles. Not bad by any means. I may try a 30W next time or add motor oil saver.

Oh no! Not the snake oil temporary repair...
33.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Check the compression and get a leak down test done. That will tell you how your rings and vavle guides are.

ROD

Best answer here.

X3. I suspect the engine is fine and simply consuming some oil due to age (not that 120k is high mileage or anything) which shouldn't be much concern. Just top off every few tank fills when you do your once over on the vehicle while checking tire pressure, etc and run what you've been using for best engine performance / MPG. No point point in stressing over it on a car with close to 150k on the clock. Do you plan on driving it for the next 10 years? Probably not. So who cares. Even 1qt every 3,000 miles isn't bad. You give your oil a slight boost in additives frequently. That's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back