Buying a Ladder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I got my house a few years ago. I am finally at the need of a decent all around ladder. Not to go on my roof, but need to clean my AC filters and check into a window water leak. Eventually it will be handy to have for other things I'm sure as well. Now, typically I wont be bringing many tools with me up on the ladder, but i weigh about 335 pounds and im 6ft6. I need a durable ladder. I realize a 1A rated ladder is meant for 300 pounds, so I was looking at 1AA ladders (rated to 375 pounds). I was looking into getting a fiberglass ladder with a 1A rating due to fact its hard to find 1AA ladders. Would this be sufficient for my weight for occasional use? Obviously I realize 1AA would be ideal for my weight but curious on any advice for buying a ladder. Thanks in advance.

I would not skimp on ratings. The weight the ladder is for is probably a static weight. Humans are not static. I would look for something rated well beyond your weight.

Probably you would be fine with the 300lb rated one... It will be well made, but falling even from 4' up can bust up your legs or back so that a couple hundred for a ladder seems like cheap insurance.
Any places rent 1AA ladders? Probably Home Hardware could order you a 1AA as well.

Another option is scaffolding, either buying or renting. I was going to rent some but then found a bunch used and its very handy to have around and much nicer than working off a ladder.

Lose 35 pounds and don't jump around on the ladder.

Last edited:
You will be fine on the 300lb rated ladder.

I'm not sure about ladders, but deer-hunting tree stands are rated for 1/3 of their capacity for legal reasons. I'm pretty sure ladders are, too.

You're not going to use it in an OSHA-regulated industrial plant. Keep it out of the sun and it will last your lifetime.

Fibreglass is excellent, maximum safety (skidding, electrical, impact) vs aluminum, but they are heavier. Some people don't want to lug them around. If you don't expect to leave your property, a great choice though.

I'd Go AA as a minimum, most people are a little on the heavy side. If you weigh more than the rating, it's not so much the ladder is going to snap in two, it's more the steps might break. With aluminum they *will* bend at some point greater than 100% rating.

I have both, extension ladders are Al, but stepladders under about 10' are fibreglass. Not too heavy.

If you're going to look at extension ladders to reach the roof of your house, buy the Ladder Stabilizer to go with it ... keeps you from smashing your gutters. They're cheap and work well.

As far as Deer Stands go, from experience, they can be treacherous, and we've rejected more than a few. More importantly, ladder injuries and deer stand injuries are both pretty high on the hospitalization list (although I suppose fewer people fall asleep on ladders). So don't compromise.

I have two ladders, one like the little giant (Cosco) which can extend to around 18 ft and a larger extension ladder to get into the roof of a two story house.

I would check your local Craiglist or Kijiji for deals.

The 300lb ladder will be fine. I weigh a smidgen less than you and I use a 225lb rated ladder every month to change the A.C. filter, plus smoke alarm batteries and burned out bulbs, etc. I do plan of upgrading my ladder when I can.

Edit- good reminder. I just ordered a new ladder.

My 32' 1AA Green Bull fiberglass one is a beast-it's rough for me to haul around by myself, but I had a 28' 1A fiberglass Werner, it was scary when it was fully extended. The 1AA barely flexes at all. I'm 6'4" 295, BTW.

Buy a ladder rated to handle your weight, and not a pound under it. I wouldn't skimp, especially if you're a big heavy person. One bad fall can change your life forever, or end it. 1AA

I would go for the properly rated ladder.

Also how high a ladder? I have a 36' ladder and fully extended it bounces more than I would like.

The better rated ladders will be heavier. Only an issue when you get to the longer extension ladders.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I would hire the job done and stay off the ladder.

Meh.. Im only 35.. dont feel like hiring someone to clean my AC filter 2-4 times a year...

Originally Posted By: Rand
I had a 250lb rated werner stepladder fail on me. Broke my arm cost me over $15000

At the time I weighed
Home depot has the 22ft multi position ladder for 99$ in IAA

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladd...PX-22/303903543

You're lucky it was only 15k. I was on a jury trial once where a woman fell off a ladder while cleaning her bathroom. She ended up in the hospital with 4 broken ribs and later died. They were trying to blame the doctors of medical malpractice, but the majority felt the doctors were not guilty. Falling off a ladder or falling down stairs is a pretty common injury.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I would hire the job done and stay off the ladder.

^^^This. I know a guy who is about your weight who broke the ladder and was on the ground for about 4 hours before a neighbor found him.
At the very least, have your cell phone with you when you use the ladder.

Don't buy a cheaper ladder, use it, regret it and then have to buy another.

Your health and efforts in taking care of house are worth way more than any difference in cost of a cheap vs proper ladder for your use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back