Would removing an oil filter hurt the gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I really want to know is if doing this would hurt the oil filter gasket’s ability to seal, if I wanted to drain the oil out, before putting that same filter back onto the engine block.

I read a bit about cold flow, and how the elastomer material in the gasket might deform (or conform to any irregularities), but I went out and looked at the gasket on one used oil filter (waiting for a trip to the local household hazardous waste), and another one on a new oil filter, and the gasket on the used oil filter actually looked flatter than the new one did. In other words, I’m not seeing any gross deformities that might make the old gasket bad to use, if I wanted to use that filter for a second OCI.

I'd rather not leave 6-plus ounces of oil in my filters (which would be the case if I were to drain the oil, but leave the filter on), but I'm thinking about draining the oil out of the filter, and then re-using it. However, I'd sure as heck hate to splatter oil gradually over 50-100 miles because of a leaking gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri
What I really want to know is if doing this would hurt the oil filter gasket’s ability to seal, if I wanted to drain the oil out, before putting that same filter back onto the engine block.

I read a bit about cold flow, and how the elastomer material in the gasket might deform (or conform to any irregularities), but I went out and looked at the gasket on one used oil filter (waiting for a trip to the local household hazardous waste), and another one on a new oil filter, and the gasket on the used oil filter actually looked flatter than the new one did. In other words, I’m not seeing any gross deformities that might make the old gasket bad to use, if I wanted to use that filter for a second OCI.

I'd rather not leave 6-plus ounces of oil in my filters (which would be the case if I were to drain the oil, but leave the filter on), but I'm thinking about draining the oil out of the filter, and then re-using it. However, I'd sure as heck hate to splatter oil gradually over 50-100 miles because of a leaking gasket.

Once you bother removing the filter I really don't see the appeal of reusing the old one. When a filter costs from $2 to $10 depending on what you use, if you already took the time and made the mess removing the old one, just install a new one.

It can, although I've done it on occasion w/o issue. But I also installed said filter and didn't over tighten it the first time. I also check for leaks whenever I install an oil filter.

I wouldn't, except for the possibilities of sand. At this point that is the only thing that would make me think that I'd be better off removing the filter and then putting it back on.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Don't waste your time draining out the oil in the oil filter.

I have done it, just make sure gasket isn't deformed and it's sticking snug/tight on the oil filter.

Although, on my Civic I have re-used the filter without worrying about oil in the filter. Just drain and refill from the top.

Good Luck
thumbsup2.gif

If you want to use the same filter, just leave it on. Don't take off the filter and out the same one back on.

If you remove the filter, get a new one. They are not that expensive
smile.gif

And I haven't been able to actually drain the filter without cutting it open anyway. Some filters even have an anti-siphon valve which prevents the oil from leaving the can.

Every filter I have taken off has liberally poured oil out onto my driveway, until I turned it back right side up. I'm pretty darn sure the filters for my cars will give up plenty of oil, if I were to turn them upside down.

Considering how much oil is trapped up in the nooks and crannies of your typical engine, going the extra step of removing, draining and reinstalling a filter is somewhat pointless. It only adds to the mess and the time underneath your car. As said above, either leave it on or just replace it outright.

Find a NAPA store that sells a lot of parts to farmers. Said NAPA has a huge selection of o-rings behind the counter. When you remove the filter bring the old gasket/o-ring to match it up with a new one.
Wait, I think I have a better idea; just buy a new oil filter and replace the old oil filter. What an interesting concept!
smirk.gif

If using a Fram Ultra I remove, inspect and drain the filter then use it for a second OCI.

But thats just me, nothing to do with cost, just because I can.

I've never seen anything wrong with the gasket or any other reason not to.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
If using a Fram Ultra I remove, inspect and drain the filter then use it for a second OCI.

But thats just me, nothing to do with cost, just because I can.

I've never seen anything wrong with the gasket or any other reason not to.

What are you inspecting? You can't inspect the filter itself, unless it's a cartridge filter. Maybe you can see the ADBV if it's torn.

My wife over filled her motorcycle A LOT once. I removed the new filter to drain the excess about four times and reinstalled empty. That filter ran a year after that with no leak.

Bad idea IMO. You have a chanxe of creating a leak by removing and re-using the filter.

Change the oil filter or leave it on for a second OCI. That small amount of old oil won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

What are you inspecting? You can't inspect the filter itself, unless it's a cartridge filter. Maybe you can see the ADBV if it's torn.

Maybe inspect was too strong of a word. I give it a quick once over for visible external damage, nothing scientific.

What I really want to know is if doing this would hurt the oil filter gasket’s ability to seal, if I wanted to drain the oil out, before putting that same filter back onto the engine block.....

The answer is, it could. A definitive answer is unknowable.

Best practice says just leave the filter alone if you're going to run it twice or more. If you choose to do otherwise, obviously your car, your call.

Gaskets are one time use. Don't reuse them.

Just leave the darn thing on there.

Your engine has PLENTY of used oil left over after a change. The 4-6 ounces of oil is inconsequential. The only difference is your TBN will be 9.49 if you don't change the filter or 9.5 if you do. Not something to worry about.

I have 500k miles on my cars with an oil change every other...it's fine.

If you go that far, why not just put on a new filter? I have been impressed enough with the Napa Proselect. Filtration not up there with Fram, but built solid. For under 4$, Id rather just put on a new filter. Or.. just leave the old filter on.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Find a NAPA store that sells a lot of parts to farmers. Said NAPA has a huge selection of o-rings behind the counter. When you remove the filter bring the old gasket/o-ring to match it up with a new one.
Wait, I think I have a better idea; just buy a new oil filter and replace the old oil filter. What an interesting concept!
smirk.gif

I am being serious about NAPA. Where I live the population that are farmers is about 75%. There is a NAPA about 7 miles away that caters to the local farmers, mainly. And, they do have a huge assortment of o-rings behind their counter. It's good to know that they have such a big selection. You never know whnen you will need an o-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back