RIP 2012 Hyundai Sonata engine 101k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, lost the motor in our 2012 Sonata. 2.0T 101k miles 3-4K oil changes. Made a couple knocks the night before, nothing too bad thought maybe the road. Next day stalled and dead on the side of the road, no warning. Pulled dipstick and full of metal shavings. The car is part of the recall so waiting for the dealer to go through the process and it better be approved. What a hassle. Had an 88 Hyundai and the motor went longer than this and those were thought of as junk. Mostly was but shows underneath it all it may be all too similar

TGDI LSPI FTL
mad.gif
crazy2.gif
16.gif
15.gif

57.gif
39.gif

Bummer. I had one as a rental, didn't like the way the trans shifted at very slow speeds into high gears and lugged the engine...this is what happens I guess!

Sounds like a great deal, free engine, you get to start all over again with an engine that isn’t defective.

Wow, it is that bad.

At least, Hyundai have already come up with a remedy to replace the engine.
I imagine that those early failure, people were just selling those car to the junk yard for nothing.

Now that these motors are getting into the "higher" miles we are seeing a lot of failures. I thought Hyundai was starting to produce some solid vehicles. This really changes my mind. It's not just the 2.0 and 2.4 that are affected. Some Elantra's are having the same problem.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Bummer. I had one as a rental, didn't like the way the trans shifted at very slow speeds into high gears and lugged the engine...this is what happens I guess!

Must be CAFE/Obama's fault. LOL

At least you'll be taken care of

They really learned there lesson about washout after machining with these engines

Half the posts in this thread have me confused, you do actually know why these engines die, correct?

They were all doomed off the assembly line, oil or lack there of, LSPI, carbon deposits, DI fuel wash, and a million other excuses are irrelevant

Get it out of your head, we know why they die now

Metal shavings during machining at the factory

A 2.4/2.0 Long block is in as high demand at my local Hyundai dealer as the forever burnt out 2357 bulb

Let us know how this goes. I friend of mine had this happen at about that same mileage on her Optima. Same motor. The dealership refused to cover it because her son did some of the oil changes and didn't keep receipts. On appeal it was covered but the dealer still treated her with disdain. This kind of swayed my wife from a Sorento to a Highlander.

Isn’t this a known Hyundai issue and something Hyundai has acknowledged and will remedy? Or is that only the NA 2.4 engine?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Isn’t this a known Hyundai issue and something Hyundai has acknowledged and will remedy?
As per the OP:
Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
The car is part of the recall

What oil does Hyundai specify for use in these? Are they one of the "0W20 preferred" in a DI, high revving, high output turbo engine? IF so, I'm betting some changes will be on the forefront!

Well the engines are still failing after they had reportedly fixed the assembly machining issue. The general consensus is that it has nothing to do with debris from machining.

I did a lot of research on the problem since my girlfriend has one of these. It could very well be a design problem and the replacement engines are just as likely to fail eventually.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
Well the engines are still failing after they had reportedly fixed the assembly machining issue. The general consensus is that it has nothing to do with debris from machining.

I did a lot of research on the problem since my girlfriend has one of these. It could very well be a design problem and the replacement engines are just as likely to fail eventually.

Interesting. It doesn't seem that the U.S. built version of this engine is having these problems.

Do you have sources for the information regarding continued new engine problems? I would like to read about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back