2013 Dodge Ram Dually, w/6.7, what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a friend, did a search and couldn't find the answer...

2013 Dodge Ram Dually with the 6.7L cummins, he pulls a 40ft fifth wheel a lot!

What weight, type and oci would you guys recommend? Amsoil says a 5w-40. Oh, and he lives in New Jersey, but pulls all over the country...

If it were my truck for conventional oil it would be either Chevron Delo 400 or Rotella T 15w40. If I wanted synthetic it would be the 5w40 synthetic versions of the previous two brands. I'd be fine with Amsoil 5w40 as well.

For OCI, start with 5000 miles. If he wants to extend that, then lengthen as indicated by oil analysis.

15w40 any brand that meets Cummins spec 20081 or 20086. Or any 5w40 or 10w30 that meets the same.
7500 OCI is what my manual states but I think newer trucks go 15000 or 6 months whichever happens first.

Per an ex-Cummins engineer who is a member here, I'm running Rotella 5w40 or 15w40, in my '17 Dually which is used to pull a heavy 45' 5th wheel toy hauler. The manufacturers suggested OCI is 15k or 6 months, whichever occurs first. For the foreseeable future, I'll be doing oil changes based on time.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Isn't there only "one" approved or "suggested" oil for use in the Cummins engines?

That would be Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40, another excellent choice. Pretty much any big name HDEO in 5W40, 15W40, or even 10W30 would work just fine. I'm a pretty big fan of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP (& older non-ESP) 5W40-but the fact I picked up a pretty big amount of it from AZ for $1/quart a couple years back factors in to that!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Isn't there only "one" approved or "suggested" oil for use in the Cummins engines?

It was Valvoline Premium BLue, but now in 2018 the owners manual says this:

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend
you use SAE 15W-40 engine oil such as Mopar, Shell
Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard
MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required.
Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used.
The identification of these engine oils is typically located
on the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend
you use SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar,
Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is
required.

any diesel rated oil of the correct grade for the climate you live. walmart oil is good, rotella, valvoline, any of them will be JUST FINE!!!

Originally Posted By: LeeinDallas
Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40. No other oil has the Cummins endorsement and recommendation.

Well, that they paid for on the bottle to make it more expensive. There are other oils that meet the Cummins 20086 spec that are often cheaper. It’s just an endorsement. That’s like saying Gatorade is the official drink of MLB. If Ichiro drank a Powerade he would still be fine.

Here’s a list of 40+ options.

http://lubritecinc.com/PDF/CES 20086(2).pdf

And 20087 specs:
http://lubritecinc.com/PDF/CES 20087C.pdf

Get the cheapest one that’s synthetic and on sale.

I'd say Shell Rotella products, due to availability and pricing at Walmart stores across the U.S.. Walmart carries pretty much the full line of Rotella products, but not so much with Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac products.

Rotella products are the "highest priced" of the "Big Three" brands at Walmart, but not by a wide margin, and they're still very reasonably priced compared the major auto parts store's pricing that I've checked.

Originally Posted By: Dak27
.. Walmart carries pretty much the full line of Rotella products, but not so much with Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac products.

I don't know about that. Just about every WalMart I go to (and I travel a lot) carries regular, syn blend, and full syn Delo (blue,grey and silver jugs) and many will carry all 3 in both gallons and 2.5 gal jugs.

I have used RP, Amsoil SS, Right now Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40. It makes no difference to me what Cummins Endorses. Use any CJ-4 or CK-4 Oil, Dino or synthetic, you'll be fine as long as you follow the 15,000 or 6 month drainage. if you go longer go synthetic.
Tom

2016 Ram 3500 SRW long bed, 6.7CTD 68RFE, 3.42 rears
2015 Open Range 291RLS TT, 9,880 lbs. 33.6 ft long

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Originally Posted By: Dak27
.. Walmart carries pretty much the full line of Rotella products, but not so much with Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac products.

I don't know about that. Just about every WalMart I go to (and I travel a lot) carries regular, syn blend, and full syn Delo (blue,grey and silver jugs) and many will carry all 3 in both gallons and 2.5 gal jugs.

I had a really hard time this past winter finding Delo 400 10W30 XLE in the 3 Wal-Mart's in my area. While I was in the Semi, I checked a few of my Truck/Trailer friendly Wal-Mart locations in Texas, Florida, Nebraska, Iowa, and in Illinois and I was told in a few of these locations that they were discontinuing stocking it. However, the folks at WM Online told me they were still carrying it. No problem finding the 15W40 SDE, and 15W40 XLE, though.

This, and lower price, were the reasons I switched to Guardol ECT.

My partner(work) has a 2500 Cummins and he runs whatever brand is on sale 5w-40. His Ram is a lot louder than mine and I run Rotella T-5 15w-40. I get better mileage too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back