Towing vehicle reccomendation? (Followup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I posted this thread Tundra versus Silverado but I'm curious about a broader span on this topic.

I want to know what some of you suggest as a "budget" tow truck that can handle towing my 1990 Nissan 300ZX. I believe the car weighs 3700 lbs.

I'm partial to Tundra's based on aesthetics and Silverado's based on reliability, but I find an older Ford with a 6.6L or 7.3L may be more practical for what I'm after. Would prefer a crew cab but an extended cab would suffice. Not really partial to a dually, but long term, that may be beneficial.

In theory, I'd like to keep the tow vehicle around $8,000.

Used pick-ups and vans are expensive or worn out.
A used tow-worthy vehicle would be more expensive or more worn out.

Renting a tow vehicle as needed might be smart.

Some of the fellas here are frugal and know where the deals are (copart, oil bargains, etc) so I figure a few could point me in the right direction

My Jeep could probably tow it, but I've been in need of a truck for awhile now

Find a soccer mom Suburban or equivalent that has towed nothing but kids.

I bought my 2002 Suburban Z71 5.3 last year for $2000 and have done about $1500 in upgrades and maintenance. It will tow what you need.

A diesel 3/4 or 1 ton is way overkill for towing that car. Any 1/2 ton, or like mentioned, a Suburban, or a full size van could easily tow it.

Some odd vehicles are rated to 6k lbs as well. V8 Pathfinder, Exploder, maybe the V8 4runner? They would tow a car anyways but sounds like you are going to tow more if you are thinking diesel dually.

5000-6000lbs (car and trailer) is within the limits of pretty much any truck out there, even many mid-sized offerings (tacoma, canyon, frontier). Find a body-on-frame SUV (suburban, tahoe, expedition) that has done mall mom duty.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
$8k? Good thing your towing a car as you just might need it to get back home.

I didn't pay much more than that for my Excursion with the 7.3. Been a fantastic vehicle that I tow a 27' camp trailer with all summer long. Although, I guess local markets can affect that a lot, but I think the OP could find a reliable vehicle for $8k.

Trailblazer/Envoy are GREAT tow vehicles and CHEAP. Try to find a 2WD, not 4WD, though, because if you ever need to work on the engine on the 4WD models the front driveshaft goes THROUGH the oil pan and it's a pain.

So you're talking about a 5K tow package including the tow trailer. Any half ton truck made in the last 20 years will do that. My personal advice would be to find a used 97-03 F150 King Ranch quad cab with the 5.4 2V Triton engine. Very reliable vehicles, nice interior and won't break the bank but be prepared for about 9MPG towing 5K.

Silly Skyactiv - my 1986 F350 was $400 with a freshly swapped 7.3 in it (guy ran out of money)

The deals are out there if you look for them!!

3700 lb car?!?
ANY 1/2 ton truck can handle that, V6 or V8 -
I used to haul 5,000 lb luxury cars back to Texas
after hurricane Katrina, with my V8 (5.0) Ford Ranger.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Silly Skyactiv - my 1986 F350 was $400 with a freshly swapped 7.3 in it (guy ran out of money)

The deals are out there if you look for them!!

3700 lb car?!?
ANY 1/2 ton truck can handle that, V6 or V8 -
I used to haul 5,000 lb luxury cars back to Texas
after hurricane Katrina, with my V8 (5.0) Ford Ranger.

$400 with a fresh 7.3 sounds right up my alley, haha.

Originally Posted By: thastinger
So you're talking about a 5K tow package including the tow trailer. Any half ton truck made in the last 20 years will do that. My personal advice would be to find a used 97-03 F150 King Ranch quad cab with the 5.4 2V Triton engine. Very reliable vehicles, nice interior and won't break the bank but be prepared for about 9MPG towing 5K.

I had 2 of them as work trucks..both had spark plug popping out of the head issues and coil pack craziness. Not the king ranch but F250s with the 5.4 2V. No power and horrible gas mileage.

Spark plug and coil issues are usually from a bad mechanics work. Sparkplugs torqued properly don't pop. Under-torqued do. Coils, don't wash down the motor, ever. They go for a long time if they don't get water down the plug hole and short out.
Can confirm horrible MPG for the power. Smooth running motor though.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Spark plug and coil issues are usually from a bad mechanics work. Sparkplugs torqued properly don't pop. Under-torqued do. Coils, don't wash down the motor, ever. They go for a long time if they don't get water down the plug hole and short out.
Can confirm horrible MPG for the power. Smooth running motor though.

Yeah, for the occasional 28'RV towing use vehicle, there hasn't been too much wrong with my Dad's 2v 5.4l. A couple coils did go, but he got the plugs changed without a problem. Its not fast but and the motor revs a bit to work, but for the flat lands of Florida it shouldn't be too bad really. Anytime I drive it, I think its fine anyways.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Last year I posted this thread Tundra versus Silverado but I'm curious about a broader span on this topic.

I want to know what some of you suggest as a "budget" tow truck that can handle towing my 1990 Nissan 300ZX. I believe the car weighs 3700 lbs.

I'm partial to Tundra's based on aesthetics and Silverado's based on reliability, but I find an older Ford with a 6.6L or 7.3L may be more practical for what I'm after. Would prefer a crew cab but an extended cab would suffice. Not really partial to a dually, but long term, that may be beneficial.

In theory, I'd like to keep the tow vehicle around $8,000.

towed with my silverado cross country pulling a 3500 hot rod on an open car trailer
no issues...Most V8 trucks wont blink at this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back